Ford E-150 Econoline No Heat

I have no heat from my van. All the vents and blower is working. I took it to a mechanic and he said the problem was in the dash (vent not working)
and wanted $700 to fix. Seemed a bit excessive. Any ideas on what to check?

Do you know what year it is? Ford's been making E-150's for a long, long time.
CJB