Ford Escape 4wd Always in 4wD?

Hi All: Is there any way that you can take a Ford Escape out of 4WD when you don't need it? I see no way to do this with any control in the car. Must all electronic?

That might vary by year. My 2005 is in FWD unless wheelslip is detected, and then power is supplied to the rear wheels, according to the Owners' Manual.
--
---
That's the way mine is I guess. By the way, how is your fuel economy in the 2005 Escape. My is pretty dismal in the city, not bad on the highway.
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:25:16 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XReXXFordX.usenet.us.com wrote:

That's all based on perspective. My wife drives it, and we aren't tracking real mileage verses gas poured in, just relying on the dashboard display. It's a 2005 Escape Hybrid AWD. 32mpg hard core urban stop and go and parking lots. 30mpg at 60mph highway cruise 28mpg at 70mph highway curise, four passengers and luggage. 26.8mpg rural hilly area.
It replaced a Dodge Durango that got 13-14 on the highway. We tried not to notice the city mileage.
A friend has a 2004 VW Passat AWD Wagon. He can sometimes squeeze 25mpg on the highway, but is usually around 17, often 13mpg overall.

I have the 2005 Escape Limited (not hybrid) and it gets 14 city (12 in the winter) and 23-24 highway. Very dissapointing to say the least. Should have opted for the Hybrid but I was concerned about it bieg the first year model. Maybe in a couple of years when I can afford it. MS
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:22:39 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XReXXFordX.usenet.us.com wrote:

You can buy a lot of gasoline for the difference in price. When the "uniqueness" wears off the hybrid, you'll get a much better deal on one anyway.

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid, which is so much better than a standard Civic that it is the only reason I would buy a Honda. It is smoother, more powerful in normal driving, and gets 30-50% better mileage.
I bought the Escape with the same hope. I am not as impressed by the attributes of the Hybrid. It is kind of cool to glide around electric only, but it doesn't stay electric as much as I think it should. The engine is noisier than the V6, but maybe an improvement over the 4. If I'm getting a low of 26.8mpg, and msterspy is getting 14 in the city, I think I could make up the difference in cost rather quickly.
I thought I might get 30, and maybe I would with FWD instead of the AWD.

--
---

20 to 21 city 2005 FWD. I haven't done any long highway yet.
Noob
Wow, I'm still getting 25 mpg in my 1990 escort gt, 1/2 city 1/2 highway driving. And this car has had a lean condition for a while. Not bad for a car worth $300 book.
Matt

My 1998 Chevy Metro gets 43mpg. What't that got to do with the mileage of a 3900 pound fully loaded SUV? My 1982 Honda gets 50mpg if I ride slow enough. That's got a book of about $200. Seems to have held its value better than your Escort.
--
---
Bully for you!

Our original poster didn't mention the year of his vehicle, but I think it was later revealed as a 2005, where there is no knob or control of any sort available to the driver any more.
--
---
Your correct, it is a 2005 Limited and there is no knob. This is also the first year that the shift lever is on the floor. Nice car except for fuel economy. Hope the car lasts for at least 10 years. My kid is going to an expensive school next year. I won't be bying anyhing new for a long time. M
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 00:05:06 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XReXXFordX.usenet.us.com wrote:

I saw one other post in this thread that indicated better mileage. But I think that was a four cylinder.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/ForumsLanding select Ford Escape, and have a look at what some others are saying, although there isn't much 2005 data yet. There is a "mileage" thread with 757 posts in it.

snipped-for-privacy@xrexxfordx.usenet.us.com wrote:

Of course the only posts are complaints, but it looks like 12-15mpg is not unusual for the 05 Escape V6. A friend has an older Mazda Triubute V-6, but she pays no attention to mileage.
The I-4 seems to be 22-25mpg according to these posts.
--
---
snipped-for-privacy@XReXXFordX.usenet.us.com wrote:

It looks like the only logical choice for a Taurus replacement Escape would be the hybrid, to come close to the Taurus economy figures.
Rob

I had a Dodge Durango, getting between 13mpg highway and something unknown around home. I looked at the Escape, but the V6 EPA mpg was enough to get me to buy one. I bought the Hybrid, which is getting 26.8 overall, and somewhere between 28 and 30 on the highway. I'd like more, but it's twice what I was getting, and if it's also double the real world mileage of the Escape V6, then it's a good thing.
--
---
Clarence: Thanks a lot for that link to Edmund. I have been on that forum for a while. Very interesting posts about the Escape and poor mileage