Ford Escape Battery Light

I have a 2002 Ford Escape. Seven hours after driving to a friends house for dinner, I got in my car to go home. It started fine but the battery light came on. After about five minutes with the car running, the light went out. It was semi-cold outside, about 28degrees. Is this something I should worry about? Does it mean it's time for a new battery. The battery is about 18 months old and I've driven about 10,000 miles. TIA

Reply to
FB

On any car, the Battery light is usually a sign that the battery isn't charging properly because of:

  1. Slipping belt on alternator (especially common after you go thru a deep puddle)
  2. Loose connection
  3. Failing voltage regulator or alternator (most modern cars now have a voltage regulator inside the alternator)
  4. Weak battery

I wouldn't worry too much unless it comes on again. YMMV.

Reply to
Rex Tincher

Thanks...the same thing happened today. I think I'll take the car into the dealer tomorrow. It's still under warranty.

Reply to
FB