Ford escape diagnostic code 1784

Hello,
The check engine light on my 2003 Ford Escape has recently started going on frequently. Also my O/D light flashes on and off. I had a diagnostics run on it and it gives code 1784. The following is the
description I found for this code.
Trouble Code: P1784 Vehicle Qualification: Ford Trucks Escape 4WD Description: Transmission System First or Reverse Gear Fault
Has anyone seen this problem or have recommendations for fixing this? I am hoping I will not need to have transmission work..
thanks Andrew