Ford Escape Ignition Key Problem

I have a Ford Escape and occasionall the ignition key won't turn. It acts like it is the wrong key in the ignition. Takes some work to get it to tunr sometimes. I thought it was the steering wheel lock being preloaded but it happens whne the steering wheel is moreor less free and no tension agaisnt the lock.

Anyopne have any suggestions on how to fix this? I know that replacing the lockset is going to be expensive.

msterspy

Depending on the year or mileage, maybe it's still under warranty? SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Yes it is still under warranty but the dealer is relluctant to look at it. I asked about it and they suggested spraying lubricating graphite into the ignitition key switch. I don't like that idea. The graphite may mess up something else. It is an intermittant problem which = a hassle because with my experience with such matters, when you bring the car in for an intermittant problem they usually say that they can not find the problem and its a day waisted . If I knew what to look for, maybe I could point it out to the service people and the diagnosis/repair would be easier.

Seems like a m>Depending on the year or mileage, maybe it's still under warranty? > SC Tom

Reply to
msterspy

You could try one of the dry silicone sprays. They don't leave the mess that graphite does. If it were my car, though, I think I'd insist on them fixing it. If you screw something up, you're out big bucks. If they screw it up, you're without your car for a few days, but it doesn't cost you anything. Quite often small things like that have a tendency to work themselves up to something bigger. Good luck! SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

DON"T use graphite. I did that once and shorted the switch.

Noob

Reply to
Kim Neubert

I remember hearing about the first 2 or 3 years of the FOCUS, a locksmith friend of mine mentioned that the cylinders were cheaply made, and he had replaced a higher than average number of them

Reply to
Markansas