Ford Escape Liftgate Not Working

I have a 2001 Escape and lately the liftgate has been working on and off. Has anyone had this problem? How do you fix it or get it to release?

I haven't had the problem with my '02 Escape, but I did with my '89 Probe. If I pushed in on it while opening it, it worked fine. I finally adjusted the latch and that took care of the problem SC Tom