Ford Escort 1.6 idle problem

I have a 1998 Escort 1.6 zetec. The problem is that when the car is stationary & I press the accelerator it revs to about 2500rpm (Even with the slightest of touches) & stays there for 4-5 seconds after taking my foot of the accelerator before returning to normal. Also when the car is travelling I can take my foot of the accelerator & the car will still cruise along. When I take my foot of the accelerator to change gear the revs will sit at about 3000 but if I come to a stop the revs will drop back to normal again after 4-5 seconds. Can anyone help?

Reply to
cartman310

It could be any number of things but the first clue is the sensitve throttle, which leads me to believe it might be the Throttle Position Sensor has gone bad.

Given your model year, this may show up on the logged engine control codes. You should shop around for, or borrow, a code reader and see if something to do with that shows up.

Failing that, replacing the TPS isnt difficult or expensive.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

my guess would be ISCV (idle speed control valve)