@ Ford Escort 94 problem?

July 15, 2003
Hello there:
I have a Ford Escort 1994 (automatic trans.)with 74,000 miles. It was running fine until recently. Now, it kind of lost power, it will
start just fine but I can only go about 20 miles per hour or so. The transmition change gears just fine so I don't think that is the problem. A friend had told me he had similar problem that ended up been a speed sensor or a sensor of a kind ( $35 ) that controls or regulate the speed ??
I don't remember his exact words and I cannot reach him. I will take it to the mechanic but I would like to get somewhat familiar with the problem.
I would appreciate any help in the subject.
Regards,
I had same sort of problem with my escort. Turned out to be very dirty fuel filter for me.

Leading into the 'carb' from the breather assembly... is a box that has two tamper proof torx bolts holding a lid. Inside is the sensing unit for air to fuel ratio mixing.. over time these wires get gummed up and need cleaning/replacement. They will cause the car to intermittently have erratic idle and/or highway operation. Start there...