ford escort eratic idle

Hi all.I have a 1998 escort 1.6lx(zetec).on cold start the idle is eratic.if you depress the accelerator slightly the revs race up and hold for a short period before eventually returning to normal.Whilst trying to
return to normal revs the car hunts.This problem seems to go after about twenty minutes running.Can anybody please help.
leachy wrote:

Possibly a bad idle air control valve, but rather than guess pull the codes from the OBD-II port and start there. Post them on this group and I'm sure you will get some expert advice. Could be a few other things too. An Autozone should be able to get them for you, just make sure to get the exact codes from them.