Ford Escort horn has a mind of its own

Tonight I used the horn on my 97 Escort station wagon (bicyclist darted out into my path). A minute later, the horn again sounded, although I didn't push it. It sounded two or three more times, about a minute
apart. Each time, I had to press the steering wheel to get it to stop. The manual has NOTHING about the horn system. Does anyone know why this horn would do this?

Pressing on the horn button activates a switch. Probably the switch is bad.
Jeff

wheel? Or is there an actual button somewhere? As I said, the manual says nothing about the horn at all. I looked at every page, including the index. Nothing at all indicating there is even a horn in the car.

Yeap! The whole area where you can press is one big button.
Jeff
Usually it's two metal strips that make contact when you sandwich them by pressing on the contact pad. Maybe the metal strips are 'worn' out of shape and are not 'springing' back straight. With pressures from the contact pad, possibly with pressures from steering or pressure at a certain point on the wheel, the strips are doing what they're supposed to do, just without you doing it. Take off the steering cover for access to the strips for possible fixing. No air bag, I hope?!