Ford Escort indicator stalk

Hi,
N reg ('96) escort. Dashboard illuminator, rear lights, sidelights, lights-on alarm not working - all other lights OK. Points to switch failure
on indicator stalk. Please can anyone point me at some instructions on removal of stalk? So far I have the steering casing off :-)
Cheers,
Gary.
'salright I sussed it - didn't realise the indicator and wiper stalks were both on the same unit at first. Before I go and shell out for one of these things, does everyone agree with the diagnosis?
Cheers,
Gary.

these things are a bit expensive from the dealers so if you ain't that sure it's the problem then get one from a breakers, (good start point tho') make sure you get the same year and trim level 'cos even tho' the part may look the same the internal wiring can be different.

Yep I believe they're around 70. From what I've read they're the same unit from L-reg onwards but I will check with dealer first. There's quite a few on eBay - how do they end up with these things? :-)
Cheers,
Gary

They buy electrical parts that can't be returned in the hopes it is going to cure their problem.
Bill

failure
seams you are on the right track. It would be a good idea to check for power at all the fuses first. Also a book with a wiring diagram in it would be worth checking out...as long as you know the basics of elecricity it will save you money in the long run. Some switches can be fixed by cleaning with electrical cleaner or wd-40 too.

Things have changed since I last had to do a repair - you don't seem to be able to go to a breakers yard and help yourself anymore. It's all breakers superstores and internet part finders and 90 day guarantees. Everything all neatly shelved, labelled and recorded on a computer. This indicator stalk sells for 70 at Ford, and on average 30 from the majority of the breakers I rang - WAY too much for a second-hand, probably 8 year-old part. After much hunting, I did find a traditional back-of-beyond scrapper. 10 quid - now that's more like it!!!
Oh it worked by the way. Thanks for your comments.
Gary.