ford escort starting problems

hi,

I wonder if anyone can help, I have a 1993, L reg ford escort 1.4 single point injection escort. The problem is that I have starting problems, the car does start most of the time but sometimes it just turns over and wont fire, sometimes it does this from cold but also if I have took it for a run, the problem is intermittant, I havent got the money for expensive diagnostics so was wondering if anyone could help.

thanks in advance

Reply to
stephen morgan

how about going back and looking at OTHER 'wont start" posts?

including the one about the tbird just above.

Assume the car has been tuned up recently ..plugs, wires etc.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Dump the piggin' thing and get Japanese, they hardly never go wrong, at least not as often as Factroy Ordered Road Disaster. Never again......

Reply to
The One

Sadly, I'm not familiar wih the British Escort.... I must assume that the electronics are similar to North American vehicles, though..... On that note (and taking into account BYMs suggestion about state of tune), realizing we have no codes or other data to work with, let's look at those things that can cause a no start (other than ignition related components)... The TPS could be intermittent - if the PCM sees a high throttle opening during cranking, it assumes that the motor is flooded and reduces injector pulse width - denying the motor of the fuel needed to start. When the key is first turned on, the PCM takes a quick peak at barometric pressure... if the MAF or MAP has an intermittent fault, it can tell the PCM that local air pressure is different from reality. This will affect fuel mixture and can either starve the engine or overfuel it. There may be a concern with the electric fuel pump or it's circuitry. Any other number of concerns can give your symptoms.

Not to preach, but "expensive" diagnostics are generally cheaper than throwing part after part at a concern. I can't recount the number of times I've fixed a simple concern that some well meaning DIYer has thrown hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of parts at...

Reply to
Jim Warman

PCM, MAP, MAF, barometric pressure, damn Im confused

Reply to
stephen morgan

Yeah why dont you go tell some japanese user groups?!!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The automotive world is acronym heaven.... the manufacturers throw new ones at us on a near daily basis....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Because you're all brainwashed and need educating.

Reply to
The One