Ford Escort XR3i

Hello All
I have been given the opportunity to have the above mentioned car on a L reg (93) from my brother as he is getting a new car.
I would like to know if there are any major problems with these cars that I
should be aware of?
Bye
Hiya Simon,
Nothing major other than they've usually been thrashed.
Check the front suspension lower arms and bushes, these wear a lot (every year sometimes depending on the driver) The oil should have been changed regularly or the breather pipes block up (every 3k miles if the car is only used for short journeys) There should be no tappet noise from a cold or hot startup and no smoke on startup, after overrun or under hard exceleration (watch from behind in another car) The inner and outer sills on a '93 should still be ok but check anyway (lift the carpets and check underneath) and check the A posts and front wheel splash panels where they meet the wings.
an easy car to work on and parts are cheap enough
hope this helps
pottsy
Thanks for the info on what to look out for...
Bye