Ford ESP PremiumCare ?

Ford ESP PremiumCare prices are all over the ballpark I have been Quoted $1800 to $3200 for a 7 year 100,000 mile plan. Is there a place on the net to find dealer cost?

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:08:49 -0800, Alexander Grant

According to a friend who is the finance manager at one of the large Ford dealers, the published price on the ESP plans is about 100% over cost. The cost of the plan is many times used as a bargaining chip. That said, the ESP is backed by Fomoco and does pay exactly what your contract includes unless the dealership is unscrupulous. Unlike a couple of other plans which have recently gone underground, the ESP plan will likely be there if needed. Unless it has changed recently, the ESP plan is either transferrable to subsequent owners of the vehicle or, the remainder of the premium is refundable to you prorated on the time remaining on the contract when you sell the vehicle. This is where many dealers make out like a bandit because you have to request the refund. All that said, I would not generally recommend buying the extended warranties unless this is the only way you can financially protect yourself from a catastrophic repair bill. A second choice in extended warranties if you feel it necessary would be your own automobile insuror. Many of them have this type coverage available.

thanks very much...
How much deductable are you looking at?
I've had three Tauruses (93, 95, and 97 -- still have the 95 and 97) and I purchased the extended warranty from Ford each time. My plans had a $50 deductible. I was also fortunate to have dealt with two reputable dealers who have decent service departments Syosset Ford of Syosset, NY and Tower Ford of Great Neck, NY. The warranties were honored without question and the repairs were made without fuss. I know a lot of people feel the extended warranties are often too expensive to be worth it, but consider the cost of components and repairs. I would also only buy one that's backed by the manufacturer. You're not going to wake up one morning and find that Ford or GM has gone out of business. Unfortunately, you also have to depend on their dealer network. Some dealers are excellent. Many should have had their franchises revoked years ago. Like most things in life, it's a crap shoot.