Ford Explorer 2000 EB, stalls if temp is below 30 F

I have noticed it over and over that my Ford Explorer 2000 EB (4.0 L SOHC) if parked for over six hours or so and the ambient temp is around 30 F or lower, when I start it, it starts normally but when I put it into gear (automatic transmission) and start to move, it stalls. I have also noticed that if I let it idle for about 30 seconds or more before I put it into gear then it does not stall.

These days the temp is well over 30 F and it is not stalling.

My understanding is that engines equipped with fuel injection do not need this kind of warm up that used be the norm for engines with carbs.

Could anyone help me understand what might be happening.

Thanks, in advance.

Matt

Reply to
Admin

just a stab but possibly some sort of vacuum line leak... if you dont mind driving in the beginning like this then try it ::: use two feet feather the brake while applying the gas then release the brake. this is also what people must do on a very steep hill if somebody pulls behind them extremly close.

Just about all my cars i used to own i had to drive that way, especially when cold.

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

Are you putting it into gear immediatly or after a few minutes of the engine running?

I will assume that you are trying to do a "start and go" which, should be what you should do. If stalling after start then I would suspect that the timing or the timing sensors are screwed in one way or another. You should be able to start and go.

Letting an engine "warmup" is a sign of poor engineering as well is detrimental to the more modern vehicle. You should "warm" the engine and transmission together.

So I'd guess timing as the first possibility (by timing, this could be sensors or physical adjustment). Otherwise, I don't know your enviroment well enough to suggest something definitive.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Jim Hernandez

I am talking about start and go, if I let the engine run for half a minute or more before engaing the gear, then it does not stall. If timing is off then why the engine stalls only when ambient temp is cold (30 F or below) and the car is parked for a while (over six hours or so) ?

Timing does not change if weather warms up. Some structure or process in the engine is sensitive to being cold and its compensatory mechanism is not working efficiently.

Like its mild these days for the last one or so, I have no problem with start and go but earlier this month when it was cold then I was having this problem.

Please advise

Thanks

Matt

___________________________________

Reply to
Admin

If I do what you have suggested then the engine does not stall, in fact PREVIOUSLY this car had a problem with the Idle Solenoid whereby it would shutdown immediately after start ( regardless of the ambient temp or anything else), if I would not use the gas (to keep the minimum RPM around 1000) and the brake (to control the vehicle) at the same time. I drove around like that for over a week (several hundred miles), before the 'friendly' Ford dealer had the time to take a look and fix. But that was in the past and it was fixed.

I understand with this vehicle I should not have to wait any amout of time after start and before moving.

I have looked as closely as I could, no vaccum line leak is traceable. Haynes manual suggests a fuel filter possibility, what do you think?

The way I see it, there is some structure or process in the engine that is sensitive to cold temp and whatever mechanism is supposed to compensate for cold temp operation is not efficently working ?

Matt

Reply to
Admin

Its not going to be timing. Check out the throttle bore, if its dirty clean it. Has it ever had a fuel filter? It should every 20K at least. There is a sensor that mesures the intake air temp. The only easy way to check it is with a scan tool. Cleaning the mass airflow sennsor would be a good idea too. It wont hurt to let it warm up a bit anyway in that cold of climate, it isnt good to just jump in it and haul ass.......

Reply to
Scott M