Ford Explorer Ignition wires/plugs Question

Hello all,
Yesterday I stopped by the dealership and talked with one of the lead mechanics about my 93 Explorer. What I talked to him about was that me and
a friend pulled the left cylender head off of the Explorer to find a 0.5" x 0.25" hole in the exhaust valve with a crack developing towards the valve stem. We chitchatted about it, but before I left the mechanic told me when I put new ignition wires and spark plugs in (the ones on there are corroded pretty bad) that I can only use Motorcraft/Ford based ignition wires and plugs because those are the only ones that will work and others like Bosche or other brands simply won't work at all.
Is this true? Do I need to get Motorcraft branded ignition wires and plugs (nearly $90 total) from the dealership only or can I get solid, reliable, equivelant ones at NAPA?
Brad
On Sun, 01 May 2005 18:46:04 GMT, "B. Walker"

brad the focktard wires no plugs yes a lot of problems with aftermarket plugs
they ya go ya loser ford= junk
u go girl
hurc ast
B. Walker wrote:

From an earlier reply to me regarding ignition problems with my 4.6 by Tom Adkins:
Your Ford dealer would want a small fortune but Motorcraft wires are available in the aftermarket. My local Autozone sells Motorcraft plug wire sets for your 4.6 for $68.99 per set retail. Stay away from lower cost wires (and Bosch, their plugs cause problems in Fords so I wonder about their wires), they tend to burn internally quicker.
Frank

I depends on the design of the ignition system. Many aftermarket spark plug wire designs radiate excessive EMI and RFI which can interfere with the engine computer and ignition.
I have a 95 T-Bird 4.6. Years ago I picked up a set of Crane wires at a closeout sale. Car worked fine with the wires up to 45 mph. At 45 mph engine would start cutting out. A friend with a 96 T-Bird 4.6 bought the same wires and didn't have the same problem but the 96 model year T-Bird had a slightly redesigned and relocated ignition system. Didn't have a module attached to the inner fender like mine did.
Sometimes you can get away with it.. sometimes you can't.
Steve Stone wrote:

Thanks Steve but in *this* case we were talking about getting Motorcraft wires from Autozone. Am I missing something?
Frank

motorcraft wires are motorceaft wires. it does not matter where you buy them from. the reference of buying motorcraft wires from a dealer was because not to many places besides a dealer carry them
says...

plugs
reliable,
I had a 97 Explorer XLT, I changed the plugs to a Bosch twin fire type, and it caused my motor to mis-fire, the computer did not like the plugs. It caused my engine to show a "check engine" Light on the dash. I think it is funny how other brands make a plug for the Explorer but you can not use them.
I whet to the dealer and they changed out the plugs for over $100, I can not believe it. I think the computer has something to do with it.
Jessie97XLT