Ford Explorer Loud Whining Noise

The other day I heard a loud noise coming from my 1997 Ford Explorer. The only way to describe this noise was a loud whining (much like a weed-whacker at full throttle) I could not determine if it was coming from the engine compartment or the undecarriage.

After driving around the last several days it is still happening intermittantly but I was able to diagnose when it happens. It seems to ocurr once in a while when I remove my foot from the accelerator. When I hear the noise begininning it will immediately stop once I depress the accelerator pedal again.

It doesnt happen every time I remove my foot from the accelerator (only once in a while). AC is not in use when it happens and it does not affect the performance of the truck and I notice no change in RPMs

- it sounds like a rush of air possibly.

Anyone have an idea?

Reply to
captainron19

Does the noise seem to come from the front of the motor? Could be a worn serpentine belt, or tensioner wheel. Replace the belt, and tensioner wheel (or you could try a squirt of wd40 into the wheel's bearings - worked for me).

Reply to
john