Ford Explorer tires

Hi all. I'm new to owning an SUV and have a question regarding my tires. I have a

1996 Explorer Sport XLT and on the door it says that my tire pressure should be 26psi. That seems a bit low for me or am I just being a bit too cautious. Being a car owner for so long I thought the tire pressure should have been higher. Is this right? Thanks in advance David
Reply to
Webmaster

26 was the original recommendation but I believe Ford now recommends something closer to 30 psi. I always run 32 psi in the tires on my 92 Explorer. The whole reason for the low tire pressure is to make the Explorer have slower steering response which made it do better in a NON-mandatory test procedure. I prefer a faster response and the safety margin of higher tire pressure.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy