Ford Explorer wheel bearings go loose often?

I have a 92 ford Explorer and it seems as though the front end wheel bearings keep going loose. 4wd Explorer, 100K miles. It seems to shudder at about 35mph to 45mph. I've had the bearings tightened twice in two months, is this normal? Jo

Reply to
JO

Thomas Moats

By "loose" do you mean there is a lot of play in them? they could be worn and need replacing.

or Maybe the cotter pin fell out and the nut is spinning, allowing it to come loose.

Reply to
Robotnik

No its not normal, it is probably something else. Tires, front end, driveshaft.....Do you feel it in the steering wheel? Is it worse when you hit the brakes? It has done this 2 times before and tightening the wheel bearings fixed it?

Reply to
Scott M

Well, yes I can certainly feel the vibrations in the steering wheel. the vibes start at about 25 mph and stop around 45mph, they are most noticed when accelerating. The engine runs very smooth in neutral at various rpm speeds, so I'm counting out the engine.

I had the bearings replaced in July and then tightened in early Oct. About two weeks after the Oct tightening event the vibes came back...

I went and bought new bearings and lifted the truck. The front wheels are tight, they rotate freely but the horizontal movement (passenger side to driver side) when pushing on the tires is gone (bearings are still tight).

I did notice a lateralmovement when pushing on the front of the front tire, it the rear of the tire seemed to move inboard and outboard... like a linkage or something... not sure & I didn't feel too comfortable sticking around too long under the jacked up truck.. :)

Could something in the trasmsission cause it? (I'm highly doubtful) how about the steering system/linkages?

Reply to
JO

Sorry but you really should have someone look at it. Maybe you could have someone drive it and give you an idea whats up....

Reply to
Scott

I would check the radial arm bushings just to be sure. I recently got a 1990 Bronco II and discovered that the radial arm bushings were too far gone when I had it inspected. At least on the Bronco II and F-150 You can see the bushings without even lifting the vehicle. They are the rubber piece in between the arm (frame) pointing backwards from the wheel and the next part of the frame.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Having read the other post, I suspect you may have a problem with the radius arm bushings. The early explorers had a problem with the right side deteriorating because of it being too close the converter. There were bulletins out on this problem. Do not recall exact fix for problem.

Reply to
lugnut

Well, in July I had the bearings replaced, the tires balanced & rotated, the radius arm bushings replaced, the fan clucth replaced, leaks plugged in the radiator & power steering.

Would the radius arm bush> > Well, yes I can certainly feel the vibrations in the steering wheel. the

certification.

Reply to
JO

have you checked the wheel balancing? normally vibrations in unbalanced wheels only occur at higher speeds but its possible if you have exhausted other options...try swapping wheels front to rear if they are the same size and re-check...

Reply to
steve

Well, I heard the same thing from another person, and will have the truck in soon for the oil change. I'll have them either balance the front tires, or at least rotate them front to back... and see if it changes anything...

Thanks! Jo

Reply to
JO