Ford Explorer will not start in cold weather, Why?

I have a Ford Explorer and it will not start when it dips into the 20s. It has about 50,000 miles and is a 1999. The battery is fine and the engine cranks. When the weather warms back up it starts fine. I used to drive an old mustang and I had to set the choke in cold weather, but I thought it was automatic in the newer cars. Is there some way to set the choke like holding the pedal down half way? I heard fuel injected cars not to hold the pedal down. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
Aaron

Have a look at the other thread in this group about spark plug wires. "Subject: Re: Do spark plug wires OUGHT rather than need to be changed "

You might be able to see some leakage. Open the hood in some nice dark location. On my 88 Dodge that was running poorly at the time, it looked like a blue light show. There was a spiderweb aura alongside each wire, as well as some obvious crossover dancing.

Cold makes it harder to start, but there's probably also some moisture that has seeped into the wires overnight.

Reply to
dold

Aaron opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

The computer works like the old carbs used to in that case... if you touch the accel while starting it will send more fuel, if you pump it

- even more.

if you hold it to floor will send less

I had same problem with Taurus, find it WOULD start if i tapped it twice THEN held it to floor.

Sprayed out the Throttle plate area and ISC with Throttle body Cleaner (NOT CARB/CHOKE CLEANER)

ISC IAC IABP are the same thing = Idle Control

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic