Ford Explorer XLS 1999 transmission problems.

We just bought a used 1999 model Ford Explorer XLS. It drove fine for about

2 weeks and since then has been having transmission problems that we can't get resolved. I am just wondering if anyone can point me to any info on what the problem is, because we have been told that a few year models of the Explorers have been having the same transmission problems and that it has been a widespread/common problem.

(Also my overdrive light keeps going on and off), but the problem is in the lower gears, the RPMs rev way up and it jumps really bad while shifting. I mean, in 2nd or 3rd gear the RPM are WAY too high and it makes noises. Taking off from 0 to 35 mph, you can feel it.

I know nothing about cars so go easy on me-- all I can say is what I have been told as other people/mechanics guess what the problem could be. I may not be repeating what they said to me correctly, either...since I don't know. I'm not a girl who knows anything about cars. Someone said it could be a problem with a gasket (?) in the transmission- this was checked and it is not that. I have also heard of people replacing the transmission and it driving fine for a few weeks and then starting again. Can anyone point me to research, recalls, or any info as to how to get the proboem fixed permanently? All I can find are tons of similar complaints but no fixes. Sigh.....it's starting to look like we shouldn't have bought this model. It concerns me that even a new transmission won't guarantee the problem will stop for long.

Jill

Reply to
Jill

This may not be a fix for your year but I have a 93 that sounded like a jack hammer every time I put my foot on the gas and it was the U-Joints. If you have a tranny problem check the oil and if it smells burnt or is not pink you have a problem. Not sure what more to tell you except women will get ripped off by most shops even dealers so be very cautiouse who you take it to. Better yet have a male friend take it for you. Up here in Canada check out Speedy near Brentwood these guys are very straight forward regardless of your sex. Speak to Murry.