Ford F series loses title as top-selling vehicle in May

Page 1 of 2
Ford F series loses title as top-selling vehicle in May
Richard Truett Automotive News June 3, 2008 - 2:17 pm ET
The Ford F-150 pickup truck has been dethroned as America's favorite vehicle
for the first time since 1991 -- by two Toyota sedans.
According to preliminary sales figures released by automakers, Ford Motor Co. sold 42,973 F-series trucks in May, while Toyota Motor Corp. sold 52,826 Corollas and 51,291 Camrys.
The last time a car outsold the F series was October 1991.
Jim Farley, Ford group vice president for marketing and communications, said the F series' loss to Toyota's cars was a "significant development."
"But it's not surprising, given the fuel price," Farley said. "That's just a sign of the times. I think May has been a watershed month."
Toyota said Corolla sales rose 12.4 percent in May, but were down 9.5 percent for the first five months compared with the same period a year ago. Camry sales have been flat.
A structural shift
"The all-new Corolla really found its stride this month," Toyota Motor Sales President Jim Lentz said in a statement. "Launched amid soaring fuel prices and economic uncertainty, Corolla strikes a sweet spot for buyers seeking refinement in addition to fuel efficiency and affordability."
Ford CEO Alan Mulally said the fact that cars are outselling trucks is further evidence that the industry is undergoing a change in consumer preference.
"We really believe we are seeing a structural shift with the fuel prices going through the $3.40-to-$3.60" range. It's interesting that a lot of others are saying the same thing now," Mulally told reporters Monday, June 2, at a dinner in Washington.
"So I think we're seeing a structural shift where, with the prices being high in the United States, we're seeing exactly what happened in Europe a number of years ago, where the customers are going to make economic decisions, and they're going to move toward smaller and medium-sized vehicles."
Amy Wilson and Andrew Grossman contributed to this report.
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:54:03 -0400, "C. E. White"

You are comparing apples to oranges, please compare trucks to trucks.
The 1991 date is for sales during ONE month back then when Toyota sold more as well. By the end of the model year is was a far different number. Ford has had the number one spot in ANNUAL sales, the one that counts, for thirty one years, since 1976
<Steven Davis> wrote in message wrote:

Mike hunt wrote:

Gee, Ford seems to think that the May sales were important, too, as is the trend of declining F series trucks.
Jeff

Yes, and GM and Ford can do no wrong and their products are consistently superior to anything from Japan or Europe. we know. Did you have anything intelligent to contribute to the discussion?
nate

1978, not 1976.
Ed
Ed White wrote:

And it was Dec. 1992, not 1991, too (second to last time the f150 was outsold by a car).
As of the 2007 model year, Ford has had the number one selling individual model for the model YEAR since 1976 a total of 31 consecutive years.
Ford may indeed be out sold buy the end of the 2008 model year but it really does not matter who sells more in a particular month, it is the total at the end of the model year. Suggesting one month in significant is like saying a team won the ball game because they out scored the other team in the first quarter of the came. The car sales sited included '08 as well as '09 models not onely '08 models, as is the case for the 'F' Series
May, for instance, is not one of the months when buyers of large number of trucks purchase their vehicles. Typically they buy early in the first six months of sales not the last. Those that buy vehicles late in the season are one time buyers who believe they can save money at the end of the model year.

who gives a flying fiddlers fart.
lets see them try to haul 15 sheets of plywood home in one of them there jap sardine cans.

I wonder why Toyota is not listing the sales figures for the Tundra?

That's par for the course with the drop in such low mpg vehicles.
Naturally, if Ford and Chevy are not doing well in truck sales, than foreign companies won't do well either.

All vehicle companies load up vehicles with incentives.
The Tundra has done just fine in a market not intended for foreign companies.

Which is why Toyota has not put as much investment into trucks. Yet they still managed to gain some money in the market.

Tundra incentives - up to $4500 and 0% interest F150 incentives - up to $3500 or 0% interest Silverado incentives - up to $1500 or 2.9% interest

LOL...it has been an unmitigated disaster. Only a Toyota zealot would think otherwise. Turdra commercial runs almost continuosuly around here, they have more incentives on them than any other truck, and still they can't meet the understated targets they announced when the truck was introduced. In the real world that is called screwing the pooch. In the Toyota zealot world it is called "doing just fine." A few more brilliant moves like that and Hyundai will be replacing Toyota as the worlds largest vehicle manufacturer.

What planet to you live on? Billion of dollars down the drain. The biggest thing they did was drive Nissan out of the full size truck market.
Ed

Really? That's sad that Ford has to reach that far in a market that they have had a good grasp on.

Yet has made a profit for a company and created American jobs. The Tundra has gained 17 % of the truck market in a market it is not intended to gain in.

Ford and Chevy and Toyota Truck commercials run continuously here in Dallas. Whats your point?

Selling 130 thousand Tundra's a year is burning money?
Interesting!

The 150 is the oldest design truck on the market, so I suspect Ford is pleased they have been able to hold on to the #1 spot in gthe truck market.

Toyota has wasted billions trying to buy market share. They should have spent more time on the design and less time on misleading commercials. I doubt there has been a net increase in American jobs. Ask the people who used to work at the Ford truck plant in Norfolk if they think there was an increase in the number of people building half ton trucks. Shifting jobs to Texas is not the same as creating jobs. And since Toyota pays less and hires many temps, it is likely the net effect on the US economy will be negative.

Here in NC I see more Tundra commercial than Ford and Chevy truck commercials combined. And Toyota is practically ignoring its better truck (the Tacoma) in ads. They are trying to make up for designing a loser truck with advertising and incentives. The money would have been better spent elsewhere.

When you annoucne a understated sales target of 200,000 a year, build capactiy to build twice that many, and then miss even the understated target by 35%, yes that is burning money. Bad plannning, bad truck, wasted money. The old Tundra was actually a better product. They only need to fix the piston slap probems and improve the cab room and they would have had a truck that was jsut about right for the half ton market. Instead they took all the worst ideas from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge and rolled them up into an oversized gas sucking pig.
It is sad that they built such a stupid truck.
Ed
Tundra rebates are $7,000 in some markers. Go to any Manheim Auction and you can find all the brand new 2008 Tundra's you want, as low as 25K for FWD models. Toyota is even dumping them on the rental car market without the standard reservation requirement to keep them in service for at least six months. The same is true of Solara's, Hertz is loaded with them

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 17:17:40 -0400, "C. E. White"

Unfortunately, it's a nice truck at a bad time.

The "gas sucking pig" Tundra gets ~ _1_ MPG less than my 4.0L Tacoma in EPA tests, with greater capability.

Like the Hilux, A.K.A the current Tacoma?
There are no "smaller" trucks sold to other markets. The only real difference is that the Hilux is available with a 3 litre turbo diesel. I was in Iceland a short time ago, and the Euro-spec Toyota trucks I saw there, along with the Nissan Patrol, etc... looked an awful lot like the North American spec stuff, only with a small diesel powerplant.
If you don't believe me, Google out the "Top Gear" episode where they drive a Hilux to the North Pole.
"Valued Corporate #120,345 Employee (B A R R Y)"

I don't think C.E. White has ever been near one. He calls it a monster, yet it is really no larger than the other Trucks in its class, and while Toyota markets it as a fullsize, it is technically and officially a mid-size pick up.
I think he is just rambling inane xenephobic blah blah...

More like a mediocre truck at a really bad time.

Near one? I've driven one. And it is a pig. What do you mean by "officially a mid-sized pick-up?" Go comapre it to the others in the class (F150, Silverado 1500, Dodge Ram 1500) and get back to me.

I am just giving you my opinion. I liked the old Tundra. If the V-8 had been better, and/or if the dealer had been willing to deal, I would have bought one. I ended up with a Frontier instead.

While the Hilux has also grown, it is still not as large as the US Tacoma.....2.4 inches narrower, 1.2 in shorter, etc. The Hilux specs are from the UK web site (http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/CV/downloads/Hilux_specification.pdf ). I wish they would offer the 3.0l diesel in the US.
Hilux (4 door cab)
Width 1835 mm = 72.2 in Lenght 5255 mm = 206.9 in Track 1540/1540 mm fr/rr `.6 in Wheelbase 3085 mm 1.5
Tacoma (4 door cab)
Width 74.6 in Lenght 208.1 in Track 63.0/63.4 fr/rr Wheelbase 127.8 in
Ed