Ford fans, we need your support...

Dear Ford enthusiast,

As many of you are already aware Ford Motor Company, through the law-firm Howard,Phillips and Andersen, has recently initiated an effort to crack down on trademark infringement of Ford and their brand names. While we support the efforts to uphold Ford's trademarks and take action against those who use them negatively, many legitimate businesses, clubs, magazines and enthusiast websites have been sent letters asking them to not only discontinue use of the name, but to also pay exorbitant damages and turn-over their URLs and other business property. For many companies, some which have been in business since the Ford Mustang was introduced in the

60's, this could essentially mean going out of business.

FordMuscle Magazine is championing a cause to make Ford aware that these broadly-sweeping and harsh legal efforts against companies which support, and have helped build the loyaly around Ford and Ford vehicles, are ultimately damaging theirPR and Marketing efforts.

As loyal Ford fans and customers of these legitimate businesses we ask that you help our efforts to ask Ford Motor Company for a more fair and equitable solution to meet their needs and keep the companies in business.

Please visit the following page on FordMuscle.com and submit your comments. All well-written and non-malicious comments will be sent to several key contacts within Ford Motor Company.

Thanks for your support. Chirag Asaravala & Jon Mikelonis FordMuscle Magazine

casaravala

This is not new. Microsoft and others have tried the same things and al it did was earn them bad press and PR. But it took people to speak out.

Reply to
Spike

and if you really read the whole article, you would have seen that ford asked the parties involved to do a very simple add on something on the lines of "we are in no way affiliated with ford motor company", and they told ford to F.O. thereby giving ford little recourse but to take them to court to stop using the ford name in their business name

Reply to
Tom

Tom, Not sure where you read that, but that isn't true. Ford hasn't made it that simple, and all the companies being targeted do in fact make that clear on their sites or catalogs. Many companies in fact offered to pay royalties to Ford, but as far as we know Ford has not made that an option either.

Reply to
casaravala

i got that rite from the 5 page article concerning one of the mustang sites. i believe it was mustangs plus??

Reply to
Tom

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Sadly what is happening is not new nor is it avoidable under our current law. Copyright law requires you practice "Due Dilligence " regarding protecting your trademark. That means if you pick and choose where you enforce it, then it ceases to exist. If someone starts making a kit car called the "Ford Mustang" and they can prove multiple instances where Ford did not go after sites that used that name illegally, then Ford doesn't have a leg to stand on to enforce the trademark in what is potentially a really damaging case.

Not pretty, but currently necessary.

CCC

Reply to
Collector Car Central