Ford Five Hundred

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone seen the new Five Hundred? I saw it at the NYC auto show. It looks a lot like the Contour.
Anyone else have opinions on it?
Jeff

http://www.harleydavidsonmilitarysales.com/srt81.htm

I read about it in my local paper a couple weeks ago. The car doesn't really look like a Contour or a Taurus. It looks like a Five Hundred! The Five Hundred is much bigger than a Contour and a little bigger than a Taurus. The Five Hundred is about the same size as a Nissan Maxima. The Five Hundred will come with either FWD or optional AWD. The car itself will have the same 200 hp Duratec V6 engine as in the Taurus SES or SEL. However, the Five Hundred Duratec V6 engine will have a little more tourque than a Tuarus' 200 hp Duratec V6 engine. The Taurus' Duratec V6 engine only has 190 ft-lb tourque. The Five Hundred Duratec V6 engine has 200 ft-lb tourque. Here's a link on more info about the 2005 Ford Five Hundred.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/fivehundred/index.asp?bhcp=1
~CyberWolf

Five
have
the
190
To me, it looks very similar to my contour. In additional, comparing the 500 and Mondeo on the web, they look very similar, including in the interior.
Jeff

To my eye, it looks *very* much like my recently-donated 1991 Taurus L. Same rounded shape, same B (or is it a C) pillar, similar cutaway rear taillights. Talk about back to the future! Compare:
<
http://www.lightfantastic.org/imr/things/pictures/taurus.jpg
with
<
http://www.fordvehicles.com/fivehundred/images/pho/popups/fvh05_extpho_popup_1.jpg
to see what I mean.

Same
taillights.
Yes ..same four wheels, same steering wheel, same gasoline engine ..geesh!
I'll bet you can't tell the difference between an apple and a pear either. LOL
mike hunt
Jonathan Azure wrote:

<
http://www.fordvehicles.com/fivehundred/images/pho/popups/fvh05_extpho_popup_1.jpg
Fine, fine. Meanwhile, the Five Hundred resembles my 1991 Taurus a lot more than my 2002 Taurus does! {Jonathan, 02 Taurus SEL and 03 Windstar SEL owner}

You are kidding, right? I had the opportunity several weeks ago to drive a 2005 Mercury Montego, which is Mercury's up scale rendition of the Ford 500. There is nothing remotely similar to the Contour, in looks or size. The engine is a 200 HP version of the MV 3.0L found in the Lincoln LS. The AWD version has a real high torque CVT tranny that gives the car the feel of a V8. The FWD model has a six speed automatic that should easily get fuel mileage in the thirties. It is a large car, much bigger than the Taurus, with a huge trunk and rear and right front seats that can be folded flat. I would compare the car to the Lincoln LS, except it is not RWD but it does have the LS's 50/50 weight distribution which should eliminate some of the FWD handling faults. Both are tentatively set to begin production in late July 2004. Price are expected to be similar to the Taurus/Sable in FWD editions with a premium of around $700 for the AWD.
mike hunt
Jeff wrote:

Jeff wrote:

Bah. A very bland and boring looking car.
Ramps @ NAB: Tuesday April 20 6pm. "Firefly on Paradise" 3900 Paradise Rd. Las Vegas.
Well that's just very subjective so lets stick to the facts mam ..just the facts :)

Re: Ford Five Hundred Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Apr 15, 2004, 6:45am From: snipped-for-privacy@coolguitar.go (mossrite)
Well that's just very subjective so lets stick to the facts mam ..just the facts :)<<<<<<<<<<<
Looks are what attract people to a car. Personally I think Ford missed the style boat on this one.
Eric
Bah. A very bland and boring looking car.
Ramps @ NAB: Tuesday April 20 6pm. "Firefly on Paradise" 3900 Paradise Rd. Las Vegas.
lol..exactly my point looks are very subjective. Glad you qualified your posting with "personally I think..."

To me, it looks like a contour. However, according to car and driver, it is based on the Volvo S60/S80 platform (P2 platform). Apparently, the platform is a Volvo platform, not the same platform as the mondeo (which was something like the CDW25).
According to CandD it will be about $20 to 30 k, depending on the trim and drivetrain.
jeff

It looks a lot like the Contour.

You are correct.... It's a S-80 detuned for Ford...
Jake
...gas mileage in the thirties? Ford is publishing 19/24 mpg. Ford needs better fuel economy to get my money. Also, I like the Freestyle --if it did not share it's name with a diabetic blood tester.
If you want mileage in the thirties you need to look at a small or mid size vehicle. No manufacture builds a full size vehicle that gets mileage in the thirties.
mike hunt
Higglity wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Well, non-supercharged Buick Regals do. Low 30s but 30s nonetheless. Bigger and more comfortable than a Camry or Accord too. Oh, they're built by GM Canada.
"FanJet" wrote:
| snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote: | > If you want mileage in the thirties you need to look at a small | > or mid size vehicle. No manufacture builds a full size vehicle | > that gets mileage in the thirties. | > | > | Well, non-supercharged Buick Regals do. Low 30s but 30s nonetheless. Bigger | and more comfortable than a Camry or Accord too. | Oh, they're built by GM Canada.
And is no longer built. It's been discontinued....The replacement is the Buick LaCrosse, or, in Canada, the Buick Allure.
john cline ii, who hopes that helps

But 2004 was the last year for the Regal.