Ford Five Hundred

Page 2 of 2

A couple of years ago I had a 90 Buick Park Ave, full size car (well, the 'new' full size), front wheel drive, 3800 engine. On one very long trip (mild weather, windows up, no air conditioner on, just vents) I averaged between 32 and 34mpg at ~55mph, with the engine ticking over at about 1500rpm. On the return trip I cared far less about mileage and got about 24mpg @ ~75mph :)
I can't touch that mileage with my 97 Taurus 3.0l vulcan.
Teknical wrote:

You should be able to get quite close, though. I get 30.2 mpg at 72 mph in our Vulcan Taurus Wagon(fully loaded), and rarely under 25 mpg overall. The low fuel light comes on at 450-455 miles for a pretty consistant 515 miles per tank around town, and I get just over 600 miles per tank at 72-74 mph.
The Grand Prix and its Generic Motors clones/stablemates with the 3.8/3800 have been EPA rated at 31 mpg highway for several years now... pretty admirable compared to the Taurus/Sable 28/27 Sedan/Wagon Rating with the 3.0.
The Duratec Five-Hundred would be hard pressed to reach the mpg figures of any of the above based on its size/weight/profile, especially w/ AWD.
Rob
You are comparing mid sized cars, the 500 is a large car not a mid size.
mike hunt
trainfan1 wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

"The Duratec Five-Hundred would be hard pressed to reach the mpg figures of any of the above based on its size/weight/profile, especially w/ AWD."
Also, the Taurus and Grand Prix are full-size cars... really... I thought they were mid-size too until I went to rent one.
I have not been able to find a "large car" at the major rentals.
Rob
Re: Ford Five Hundred Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Jan 18, 2005, 10:38am From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com
You are comparing mid sized cars, the 500 is a large car not a mid size. mike hunt<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
You should make up your mind. In your previous post you said the 500 is a mid sized car.
Eric
No it didn't
mike hunt
Eric Toline wrote:

If you want mileage in the thirties you need to look at a small

Teknical wrote:

My old '86 Sable with the same 3.0 would easily top 32 on a long Interstate trip and I don't mean poking along at 55 either (I usually drive up to 8 over the limit, traffic permitting). If you are willing to poke around at 55, my Mother's Grand Marquis will easily top 30 mpg. Poking around town like she does, she is averaging better than 23.
I do like the 3.8L Buick engine. A friend has one in a Century and routinely betters 30 mpg on interstate trips and he isn't drivng at 55 either.
Ed

the
My 2000 GP with the 3800 will get 30 on the highway, but will only get 18-20 in combined city driving. Sometimes as low as 16-17 if you get on it a lot.
tony kujawa wrote:

Which is what I'd be getting if I was in a GP. Lots more guts than a 3.0 Vulcan.
Rob
tony kujawa wrote:

Which is what I'd be getting if I was in a GP. Lots more guts than a 3.0 Vulcan.
Rob
The EPA guide is best for comparing fuel mileage from one to the other, since the figures are based on the same standard. The Sable is a mid-size vehicle not a large size, as is the 500. The GM is a large size vehicle and the EPA mileage for a 2005 Grand Marquis is 17 city 24 highway. Like it says on the sticker, your actual mileage may vary ;)
mike hunt
"C. E. White" wrote:

If you want a large car with fuel economy in the 30's you're looking at something like an Audi A8 TDi BMW 7 series Diesel or Mercedes CDi.
You won't get that much mass moving with fuel economy in the 30's unless you're running a Hybrid with cylinders that shut off and a dual clutch 5+ speed tranny.
If you're doing a lot of miles and the cost is the issue you could try going Propane or CNG but that limits your parking options.
There's trade-offs with everything. Luckily fuel is cheap and plentiful. (now if only the oil traders would realize that)