Ford Five Hundred

| snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote: | > If you want mileage in the thirties you need to look at a small | > or mid size vehicle. No manufacture builds a full size vehicle | > that gets mileage in the thirties. | >

| Well, non-supercharged Buick Regals do. Low 30s but 30s nonetheless. Bigger | and more comfortable than a Camry or Accord too. | Oh, they're built by GM Canada.

And is no longer built. It's been discontinued....The replacement is the Buick LaCrosse, or, in Canada, the Buick Allure.

john cline ii, who hopes that helps

Reply to
john cline ii

My old '86 Sable with the same 3.0 would easily top 32 on a long Interstate trip and I don't mean poking along at 55 either (I usually drive up to 8 over the limit, traffic permitting). If you are willing to poke around at 55, my Mother's Grand Marquis will easily top 30 mpg. Poking around town like she does, she is averaging better than 23.

I do like the 3.8L Buick engine. A friend has one in a Century and routinely betters 30 mpg on interstate trips and he isn't drivng at 55 either.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

But 2004 was the last year for the Regal.

Reply to
Perry

My 2000 GP with the 3800 will get 30 on the highway, but will only get 18-20 in combined city driving. Sometimes as low as 16-17 if you get on it a lot.

Reply to
tony kujawa

The EPA guide is best for comparing fuel mileage from one to the other, since the figures are based on the same standard. The Sable is a mid-size vehicle not a large size, as is the 500. The GM is a large size vehicle and the EPA mileage for a 2005 Grand Marquis is 17 city 24 highway. Like it says on the sticker, your actual mileage may vary ;)

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

You are comparing mid sized cars, the 500 is a large car not a mid size.

mike hunt

tra>

Reply to
MajorDomo

"The Duratec Five-Hundred would be hard pressed to reach the mpg figures of any of the above based on its size/weight/profile, especially w/ AWD."

Also, the Taurus and Grand Prix are full-size cars... really... I thought they were mid-size too until I went to rent one.

I have not been able to find a "large car" at the major rentals.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Which is what I'd be getting if I was in a GP. Lots more guts than a

3.0 Vulcan.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Which is what I'd be getting if I was in a GP. Lots more guts than a

3.0 Vulcan.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

If you want a large car with fuel economy in the 30's you're looking at something like an Audi A8 TDi BMW 7 series Diesel or Mercedes CDi.

You won't get that much mass moving with fuel economy in the 30's unless you're running a Hybrid with cylinders that shut off and a dual clutch 5+ speed tranny.

If you're doing a lot of miles and the cost is the issue you could try going Propane or CNG but that limits your parking options.

There's trade-offs with everything. Luckily fuel is cheap and plentiful. (now if only the oil traders would realize that)

Reply to
Full_Name

Re: Ford Five Hundred Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Jan 18, 2005, 10:38am From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com

You are comparing mid sized cars, the 500 is a large car not a mid size. mike hunt

Reply to
Eric Toline

No it didn't

mike hunt