Ford Focus 2000 Key keeps sticking in ignition switch.

Also sometimes I have to hit button on gear shift to change from park. When I say hit , i mean really hit. Could these to be related and what may be the cause?

Yes and if it "brakes" then your car certainly will stop.
Sorry could not resist the play on your typo.

Woody writes....

Thats ok I've seen better.
~BOUNTY~