Ford Freestar or Expedition?

Maybe someone can give me advice. I live in Denmark and my wife and I plan on driving from Seattle to Alaska during our summer vacation.

We plan on sleeping in motels along the way, but in a pinch would like to sleep in our rental car.

Hertz offers Ford Freestar and Ford Expedition cars. Do the rear seats fold down so that two could sleep behind the front seats. I know that the third row seats fold down, but is there room behind the 2nd row to lay down, or do the 2nd row seats also need to fold down or be removed?

Can anyone advice me? Any other cars maybe rentable, from Avis for example, would be welcome to learn about.

Thanks in advance, Douglas

Reply to
Fynen

What time of the year are you going? In a nutshell, if it's during the winter time and you expect to see snow then take the SUV. Any other time of the year you should just take the Freestar as there is more interior space. If it's just you and your wife you can remove 1 or 2 of the rear seats to give you even more space. You can set up a matress inside and sleep comfortably in the van. Bring sleeping bags and plenty of "bug off". You can spray the bug repellent all around the van and particularly around the opened windows and that would keep the bugs and mosquitoes from getting in when you are sleeping.

You can probably store the rear seats away at your house or a friends house for a while before you have to bring the Van back to the rental company. The seats might have clamps on them where they latch to the floorboards. That's no problem, you can just take a screwdriver to remove them. Rental companies do that because they don't really want the seats removed. But you know you are going to put them back when you are done anyway. So just do as you please.

M.B.

Reply to
Eastward Bound