Ford Fusion targets import champions

The largest percentage of all Camrys sold in the US are 4cy automatics.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I don't think it is true that "Camries are also sold with mostly manual transmissions." I looked at the Southeast Camry inventory. Out of 8,015 Camry available in the Southeast, only 2,513 are manual transmission models.

I've never figured out how Consumer Reports rates anything. I can't even understand why three different Camry Models got different levels of prediction. The Camry Hybrid was rated much better than average (like the Fusion). The Camry V-6 was rated better than average. The Camry four cylinder was rated average. Now why did they break out three Camry models, but treat all Fusions the same (all much better than average), especially when they complained that the engine in the

4 cylinder Fusion was "noisy" when accelerating hard, and the Camry four cylinder was "relatively refined."

For the four cylinder Camry the "Engine Minor" and "Electrical System" areas got a worse than average rating. The "Climate System" and "Power Equipment" areas got an average rating. The "Audio System" was better than average. All other areas were much better than average. The New Car Prediction was "Average"

For the Six Cylinder Camry the "Transmission" area got a better than average rating. All other areas were rated much better than average. The New Car Prediction was "Better Than Average."

For the Camry Hybrid the "Body Integrity" area was listed as above average. The New Car Prediction was "Much Better Than Average."

Now it seems to me with the possible exception of the engine and transmission areas, all of these Camry Models share much the same equipment. So I would think unless there was a particular problem in one of these areas, all models should get the same rating.

For the Fusion there were no difference noted for the 4 cylinder and V-6 models. All areas were much better than average except for "Body Integrity" which got a better than average rating. The overall New Car Prediction was "Much Better Than Average."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The Mar. 2006 issue shows the highway MPG for the Camry V6 as 32, not

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Whoops, you are right, the V-6 highway mileage reported by CR is 32, not 36. Sorry. The other numbers are correct, if unbelievable :) Did you mean the March 2007 issue?

Reply to
C. E. White

Toyota Trucks have similar grilles. Are theirs "tasteful?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It will also stand out greatly in a couple of years when one asks the traditional Ford owners' question, "You want HOW much to keep it running?!?!"

Reply to
dh

If it is anything like the last 25 years worth of Fords my Family has owned the answer will be - just gas. If it is anything last the last POS Toyota I owned, you'd need to take out a second mortgage.

Ed.

Reply to
C. E. White

You wish. You know what so many have said, with a Toyota, you'll buy a new car when you want one, not when you need one.

And you can spend thousands less for a used Toyota that you can still trust.

That's my case. I had to get rid of that Ford, it could not be trusted to complete a vacation. I didn't buy a new car beause I wanted one, I bought one because the Ford told me I needed one.

In spite of the warranty coverage, it was still the most expensive car I've ever owned, on a per-mile or per-month basis. The depreciation and incidental expenses were killers.

Reply to
dh

Hey guys, you have a small sample size. Most Fords are good cars. Most Toyotas are good cars. You're going to get a bad one every now and then.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Or buy your cars at auctions (if you know a dealer who can help you). After driving 20,000 mi, sell the car for the same as or more than you bought it for. I know one guys who does this. He buys a lot of Tauri and Sables. He drives about 30k mi per year for work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So true.

Depreciation is a killer w/ Ford. Service & parts cost is a killer w/ Toyota & Honda(even simple parts like brake pads/discs, wiper motor, etc., & especially collision parts).

If you're going to keep a car a long time, or are buying used, Ford/Chevy is the way to go(just don't forget to get rid of the DexCool in the Chevy).

If you keep a new car only 3-4 years, buy a Toyota & trade it in.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

You must be thinking of the high cost of Toyota parts ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are corrects one has a hard to time finding a car that is ten or more years old that one can 'count on.' That's what happens when you buy used cars. You can never know for sure how it was used or abused, or if it was properly maintained by the guy that no longer wants to keep it. If you bought one of the Toyotas that have their brake, steering, gasket or sludge problems, you would be a Toyota hater today. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That's not likely. I haven't bought any Toyota parts.

Well, oil filters and an air filter (the latter was $22 at the dealer).

Of course, since getting rid of the Ford, I'm no longer routinely pricing entire Ford transmissions.

Reply to
dh

I don't know about other parts (haven't needed any) but brake expense on our Toyotas is low. At 65K miles in our Sienna, we're still on the first set of pads, with 50% left. At 110K, our oldest Rav needed pads, finally, and rotors. That was $260 and I am quite sure I've spent that much and more on similar maintenance for other cars. Even if it was a little more expensive, having the brakes last two to three times longer drives down the cost. I've never had pads or rotors go over 50K miles without replacement or, at the very least, turning, before.

The one thing that does drive up the cost a little on many Toyotas is timing belt replacement. The local dealer does that for $200 for a 4 or $250 for a

6 and it's not needed until 90K miles. Most newer Toyota engines have chains, anyway. I can pay for timing belt replacement with what I've saved on brakes. And maybe have a little left over.
Reply to
DH

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll get rid of my 1971 Pinto with 300K on the clock.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You've been lucky. I presume you've replaced the brakes?

Drive carefully. You wouldn't want to take a hit in that thing.

Reply to
DH

No problem, I simply drive faster than other cars ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I thought that all of the Pintos had caught on fire and blown up by now...

Reply to
bbford

Obviously you were wrong, again. There are several Pinto Clubs and unlike seventies Toyotas, there are plenty of them used as dirt track race cars. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter