Ford Fusion targets import champions

Page 2 of 3

If you look at it from Ford's standpoint, Fusion sales were up 24% year to year. You probably also ought to include Milan sales for a true picture. According to Ford, total year to date sales for Fusion + Milan is 29,446 (23,888 Fusions and 5,558 Milans). Interestingly, Toyota reports a far higher number for Camry sales than Wards does. Toyota claims 2007 year to date Camry sales as 63,609. Wards claims 57,476. I don't know why Toyota reports a number far larger volume than Wards (11% larger). My guess would be that Toyota is including Solara sales in the "Camry" number and Wards isn't.
On the bright side for Domestic producers, the Chevy Impala is not so far behind the Camry and Accord (2007 ytd sales of 52200). If you lump in the Monte Carlo (really just a 2 Door Impala), the Impala + Monte Carlo sales are 55,128 so far in 2007. This would put it within a few hundred units of the second place Accord (which includes 2 and 4 door models). Three years ago Imapla sales were a non factor. So, I think this indicates that with the proper product and good marketing you can compete with the Japanese in the mid-sized market. The Fusion is a good product, Ford just needs to market it better.
Ed

The other thing is that it takes a while for sales to build up.
The Fusion, Camry, Impala and Accord are all good cars, though.
Jeff
Mike Hunter wrote:

What is it with Ford front grilles anyways?
Fusion, Edge, many more, they all have those fake chrome grilles that add nothing to the car's look (it looks like cheap bling-bling you would see on a Pimped Civic)
Chrome is good, when it's tasteful. But it seems they overdesigned those parts...
Just wondering...
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

When Ford first introduce the Taurus, sans grill, the Ford haters complained. Now that Ford has resurrected the 'grill,' Ford haters complain again. LOL
mike

Toyota Trucks have similar grilles. Are theirs "tasteful?
Ed

If it is anything like the last 25 years worth of Fords my Family has owned the answer will be - just gas. If it is anything last the last POS Toyota I owned, you'd need to take out a second mortgage.
Ed.

You wish. You know what so many have said, with a Toyota, you'll buy a new car when you want one, not when you need one.
And you can spend thousands less for a used Toyota that you can still trust.
That's my case. I had to get rid of that Ford, it could not be trusted to complete a vacation. I didn't buy a new car beause I wanted one, I bought one because the Ford told me I needed one.
In spite of the warranty coverage, it was still the most expensive car I've ever owned, on a per-mile or per-month basis. The depreciation and incidental expenses were killers.

Hey guys, you have a small sample size. Most Fords are good cars. Most Toyotas are good cars. You're going to get a bad one every now and then.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

So true.
Depreciation is a killer w/ Ford. Service & parts cost is a killer w/ Toyota & Honda(even simple parts like brake pads/discs, wiper motor, etc., & especially collision parts).
If you're going to keep a car a long time, or are buying used, Ford/Chevy is the way to go(just don't forget to get rid of the DexCool in the Chevy).
If you keep a new car only 3-4 years, buy a Toyota & trade it in.
Rob
<...>

Or buy your cars at auctions (if you know a dealer who can help you). After driving 20,000 mi, sell the car for the same as or more than you bought it for. I know one guys who does this. He buys a lot of Tauri and Sables. He drives about 30k mi per year for work.
Jeff

I don't know about other parts (haven't needed any) but brake expense on our Toyotas is low. At 65K miles in our Sienna, we're still on the first set of pads, with 50% left. At 110K, our oldest Rav needed pads, finally, and rotors. That was $260 and I am quite sure I've spent that much and more on similar maintenance for other cars. Even if it was a little more expensive, having the brakes last two to three times longer drives down the cost. I've never had pads or rotors go over 50K miles without replacement or, at the very least, turning, before.
The one thing that does drive up the cost a little on many Toyotas is timing belt replacement. The local dealer does that for $200 for a 4 or $250 for a 6 and it's not needed until 90K miles. Most newer Toyota engines have chains, anyway. I can pay for timing belt replacement with what I've saved on brakes. And maybe have a little left over.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll get rid of my 1971 Pinto with 300K on the clock.
mike

wrote in message news:4652f8de$0$16305

No problem, I simply drive faster than other cars ;)
mike
wrote in message news:4652f8de$0$16305

I thought that all of the Pintos had caught on fire and blown up by now...
wrote in message news:4652f8de$0$16305

Obviously you were wrong, again. There are several Pinto Clubs and unlike seventies Toyotas, there are plenty of them used as dirt track race cars. ;)
mike
wrote in message news:4652f8de$0$16305

Mike Hunter wrote:

'70s Japanese cars seemed to be made out of tinfoil-like steel. Very sturdy engines and transmissions, but they weren't able to keep the body panels from rusting out after 5 years :)
Even nowadays, my sister's 2000 Tercel has some nasty rust spots, but my 1999 GM is rust free (body).
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

You are corrects one has a hard to time finding a car that is ten or more years old that one can 'count on.' That's what happens when you buy used cars. You can never know for sure how it was used or abused, or if it was properly maintained by the guy that no longer wants to keep it. If you bought one of the Toyotas that have their brake, steering, gasket or sludge problems, you would be a Toyota hater today. LOL
mike

You must be thinking of the high cost of Toyota parts ;)
mike