ford galaxy tailgate only opens with key

HI all,
my 1997 ford galaxy tailgate only opens with a key. I cannot open it by the tailgate any other way. The micro switch on the door mechanism seems to be working. I suspect that its the solenoid control though I
am not sure. Has anyone had such a problem before and can therefore confirm wheter its the solenoid that needs replacing or not.