Ford GPW Jeep with machine gun mount (1943)

eBay: http://301url.com/1943_Jeep

Ed wrote:

Nice restoration or 'kit' car it would seem.
The sales pitch is complete bullshit.
'Over 95% original' WITH :
"all new" wiring, canvas, brakes, depot rebuilt engine, NOS engine parts, transmission, new body, etc.
I wonder just what 95% the owner is talking about????
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Mike Romain wrote:

Someone is taking the bait, look at the bidding history. From $399 to $1K, $3.5K $9K, it is up to $18K right now.
It does /look/ good in spite of the misleading description. Its all in the details.

$18k seems a bit high for a jeep you haven't inspected in person. Well restored WWII jeeps do go for around $15k routinely among restorers/ collectors though.

I personally think that all Jeeps of this era are overpriced because what can you really do with them? They can't haul "stuff" like a pickup and you can't haul people like you could with a car. But....that's just me. Even though most parts interchange with the Willys jeep, please remember that this is a Ford jeep and it will probably command a higher price. Still a lot higher than what I would be willing to pay.
Kruse wrote:

I really like the 6 wheel troop carrying trucks of the era, with the six wheels (2 in front and 4 in back in tandom) for 4 or 6 wheel drive. Not really practical to own.
Jeff

It's not necessarily what you can "do" with them. It's more of what they represent: the origins of the current Jeeps, the revolution in automobile design, design for a specific purpose but almost infinitely flexible to accomodate a different task, and the preservation of history. Civilian vehicles (especially from that era) are not available with options like machine gun mounts, positive crankcase pressure systems for fording water, armor plating, exterior mounted pioneer tools, etc. Besides that, military vehicles are just freakin' cool looking. Pete

If they are in good shape, you could do with them whatever the soldiers in WWII did with them, which is a lot!
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, nrs wrote:

These guys offer "motor pool condition" WWII jeeps for sale $17K and "factory fresh" condition for $20K, so the bidding on eBay seems to be in line with current prices. http://www.olivedrabfever.com /
--
"We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."