Ford KA

I was wondering whether anyone can help me, my ford ka makes a sort of tick/clicking noise when I'm in third and fourth gear- does anybody have any idea what might be wrong with it?
I've just had 300 worth of work already done to my car because apparently the engine was about to fall off and loads of other things went wrong because of this. Wish I'd never bought the car in the first place! If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it :)

Ok so aside from your regrets, can you tell us if its an automatic or manual transmission?
One thing to think about is if its a manual trans then it could have chipped a couple of teeth on the gears, otherwise you got me, cause 3 &4 dont have anything else in common in a manual tranny..
Ford Tech