Ford key replacement with chip

Do I have to go to the Ford dealership to get a new key made. I lost one somehow and need to get a new one cut, but I'd rather not pay dealership prices.
Can I get one anywhere else?
Did you say what year your Ford is? My 2000 takes a trip to the dealershop and about $80. I had two made at the same time that way if I lose one they can make another with just the two keys and no time on the car computer at only $20. Yipes did I say ONLY $20!! Pops
--
Richard N. Price

snipped-for-privacy@cfl.rr.com
Far as I can tell, someone wrote:

It's an '01 Explorer.
Sounds like I'm gonna have to go to the Dealer.
I had been told $35 by some one else, but I guess $20 wouldn't be all that bad.
@mchsi.comedy says...

It depends. If you have TWO keys already programmed, then you can usually add more yourself.
If you only have one key, then the dealer or somebody with a scanner that can access the PATS security system will be required to add it in.
You can see if local hardware or other stores carry secure keys for your Ford. Otherwise, you may need the key itself cut at a Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer.
Basically, when you get a new car, the FIRST thing you should do is get one or two spares made, preferably as part of the deal. Put them in a safe place. That way, if you lose one, you will still always have at least 2 left and make it easier to program in a replacement.
Sound advice..... I realize that the charge that the dealer extracts can seem usurious...... (here comes the 'however')..... however, if we lose a PATs key, can we be sure that the person finding it can't find our car? The majority of PATs systems can handle up to 8 programmed keys..... While it may sound either anal or overkill, the dealer can erase ALL existing keys and reprogram only those keys that you wish to be authorized for your system.
The thrust of the matter is that a key is missing... we don't know who has the key.... simply adding a new key does not disable the missing key.
For a very few dollars, I can do mindless things with little regard for the outcome....... For a slightly larger cash outlay, I can try and cover all the bases....
says...

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:

Actually, you're close, but not quite.
I know who has the missing key.
His name is Ivan. HURRICANE Ivan.
I live in Northwest Florida and my house was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan.
An 11 foot wave/surge hit my house. When the front door blasted out, four feet of sea water ended up inside. Then the back doors blasted out and dumped my stuff in the pool. $140,000.00 damage to my house and property. So my key was stolen by Ivan.
If anyone finds him, put your foot up his butt for me.
In that case you homeowners insurance should pay to replace the lost key.
mike hunt
Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:

If you could only know how many thousands of people are fighting major major battles with their insurance companies to get paid for real stuff, like roofs, like furniture, like siding, like trees on their houses... a key isn't worth bothering with.
I'm still owed $30,000 for personal property.
Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:

Yea, I was there for Charlie in Punta Gorda. A lost key was the least of our worries. We lost a whole enclosed car trailer.(yep, gone, no trace). Still working with the insurance companies.             Tom
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 06:35:28 GMT, "Jim Warman"

who cares its a ford thats what insurance is for dont worry about a key
hurc ast
you can get a key cut anyplace, but you need to go to the dealer to get it programed

A (third) key can be programed in the vehicle but only IF you have two programed keys.
mike hunt