Ford kills SVT unit

2007 Shelby Cobra Mustang to be performance division's swan song

Source: Autoblog

Too bad, but inevitable. There's no way Ford could continue to justify SVT, considering current market and Corporate fiscal conditions.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I WANT MY SVT!

Reply to
sleepdog

Oh, but the GT's ok...

Reply to
FanJet

???

Maybe you dont understand, SVT stands for Special Vehicle Team... which is a design/development engineering unit or department.

It should have no effect on production, once the model is in production. And certainly not on the GT, which was just a starting point for SVT.

In fact the 'Shelby Cobra' edition might continue to be produced for years... or as long as this platform is current, anyway.

I imagine the SVT badge might die... but there could be a successor, in which Ford would contract with an outside firm to do the design and production engineering.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

April First? Ya, OK.

Reply to
351CJ

My point was that the SVT unit is/was far more important than building the GT.

Reply to
FanJet

Yeah too bad, the only division of Ford that had *some* level of quality getting the axe. How unfortunate.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Mebbe not.. especially if those guys are sent to the same dept as designed the feeble 500.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic