Ford Marine Interceptor Y Block

In a collection we are currently selling for an estate, something cropped up that I haven't seen before. It is a Ford "Interceptor" V8 inboard engine
that is in the "Y" block family. People who worked for the previous owner said it was a 312.
It has "Interceptor" cast into the top of the exhaust manifolds, and it is fitted with dual Carter sidedraft carbs.
I have it on e-bay motors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0098014503
There are photos of the engine there. If anyone knows about these, I would appreciate any additional information.
Thanks CCC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Y-block_engine
I like the pictures of the boat. The leaves in the seat are a nice touch.
Jeff

I am very familiar with the Y block, just not the Ford Marine Interceptor version. I don't see any mention of it in the Wikipedia article, and the only thing I could find in searches were a few boats for sale that were equipped with it and one of the dual sidedraft Carter manifolds. Not sure how close it is to the car engine.
CCC

There is a discussion group for you: http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
and you can buy a parts manual if you like: http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/fordinterceptor/index.html
Not much information, really. It seems like you could probably get more money for the engine than for the rest of the boat, unless you get someone who really wants to restore it.
Jeff

It's condition is pretty tough. The only thing you could use it for is a template to build another.
Bill

That was my feeling. It would be more likely to provide an era correct motor for a boat in more solid condition.
Or a motor for a vehicle if they are close enough. I know some marine engines are reverse rotation, etc. so they won't work for street vehicles. Not sure on this one, I am waiting for that "Ford Marine" expert to crop up.
Thanks CCC

Almost definitely worth more as a marine engine if complete and functional

I've worked on a few - one boat a friend owned had a pair of them. Definitely 312 "Y" blocks - basically the "t-bird" engine. His had one clockwize and one counterclockwize. Used 2 Carter YH sidedraft carbs - same as on a Turbo Corvair and Nash Healey, with flame arrestors. Wet Exhaust manifolds, otherwize pretty well a stock T-Bird block and heads. Cams were a bit different than the T-Bird I suspect (especially the counter rotating engine, which had the ford starter mounted BEHIND the flywheel, so it used the same starter on both engines.
They were a very dependable and durable engine - his met their end (required complete overhaul) after overheating when the re-enforcement wire in the water inlet hose rusted, allowing the hose to collapse above half throttle.