Ford Mondeo gearbox

In packed traffic my gear stick went loose and could not select a gear. Managed to get home as found it was stuck in fourth. Any ideas what problem
could be.

A broken or bent fork in the transmission.
Jeff

Depending on the year, it uses either cables or rods between the shifter and the transmission. It's possible one has either broken or bound up.