Ford Motor Co. once again has reversed course...

Page 1 of 2  
and now is planning to extend the lifespan of its long-running Crown Victoria and the Grand Marquis to 2010 and beyond:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId 4825
It was announced in March that they were pulling a "Taurus" and relegating the C/V to fleet sales only(which is FordSpeak for "We're canceling this car").
Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
trainfan1 wrote:

I doubt they would be canceling the crown vic. They sell too many of them to police and taxis in NYC. And many other places.
Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/home/home.shtml "MAYOR BLOOMBERG ANNOUNCES TAXI FLEET TO BE FULLY HYBRID BY 2012"
--
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA GPS: 38.8,-122.5

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@98.usenet.us.com wrote:

That's 5 years from now.
I am talking about today.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff wrote:

It was pretty close...
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/07/2008-ford-crown.html
http://digg.com/design/2008_Ford_Crown_Victoria_relegated_to_fleet_status
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/25/2008-ford-crown-victoria-to-be-fleet-only-new-features-offered /
& the C/V is being phased out as a NYC approved cab vehicle in favor of hybrids.
http://www.nyc.gov/taxi
http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1c701c789a0/index.jsp?pageID=mayor_press_release&catID 94&doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fom%2Fhtml%2F2007a%2Fpr156-07.html&cc=unused1978&rc94&ndi=1
OR
http://preview.tinyurl.com/36587l
Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
One will still be able to buy a CV, just as one could by a 2006 Taurus that was "fleet only" The only difference is an individual is not eligible for the $800 fleet discount.
mike

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ford did the fleet only thing with the escort 5 years or more before doing it to the Taurus.
CJB
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ford did shut down the Atlanta plant and all Taurus production. They did however switch the Taurus name to the 500.
What is helping keep the over 200K CV/GM in production is the transfer of the T-Car production from Wixom and the closing of that plant.
When the new AWD large chassis, for the MKS, comes on line all production in the RWD Canadian plant will go away as well, leaving Flat Rock as the only RWD plant.
mike
.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike Hunter wrote:

I beg to differ.
If I am not mistaken, the Taurus and the Five Hundred where both produced at the same time and both were sold in the 2005-2007 model years (to fleets in the US and consumers in Canada). So they didn't change the name, but came out with a new car.
The new Taurus is the renamed Five Hundred for the 2008 model year. It had a face-lift. And Ford's new president like the idea of keeping the Taurus name alive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taurus

And the fact that there are tons of sales of the car to police departments, taxi fleets, taxi drivers and limo companies/fleets.
Have a lovely day.
Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You are free to believe whatever you chose, but the fact is as I stated LOL
mike

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike Hunter wrote:

The fact of the matter is that I was not at all disputing that they shut down the Atlanta plant.
I was disputing your opinion that they switched the Taurus name to the 500. The fact is that during each model year of the 500, there was also a different Taurus model available. And the Taurus was built on a different platform than the 500.
So, please explain to me how they could have switched the Taurus name to the 500 when in fact they had both the Taurus and the 500 in every model year in which the sold the 500.
You would also note that they initially introduced the 2008 model of the Taurus as a Five Hundred. So they switch the 500 name to the Taurus, not the other way around (beginning with the current (2008) model year).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Five_Hundred (see the timeline at the bottom).
Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff wrote:

Irrelevant.
Which they did.

Irrelevant.
Irrelevant.
Which they did.

Irrelevant.
Wrong.
They initially introduced the 2008 model of the Five Hundred as a Five Hundred. There was no Taurus after October, 2006.

So, using your logic, you can still buy a Front Wheel Drive, 3.0 Vulcan or 3.0 DuraTech powered Ford passenger vehicle, a 2008 model, that's called the Five Hundred, but looks like a 2004-2007 Taurus? Are you nuts?
Shall we even touch on the Montego/Sable issue? Please use your same argument there too so we know you are at least consistent.

"but the Five Hundred was rebranded as the 2008 Ford Taurus"
from YOUR reference pretty much sums it up...
Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
trainfan1 wrote:

Not in the US. Perhaps in other markets.

No it isn't. Until the 2007 model year, the Taurus was based on the same platform. The Five Hundred had nothing to do with the Taurus, other than it was made and sold by the company. But the platforms are completely different.

Actually, they showed what is now the 2008 Taurus at an auto show as the 2008 Five Hundred. But the new President of Ford elected to renew the Five Hundred the Taurus to keep the better-known Taurus name alive.

Really? Explain why there was a 2007 model of the Taurus (for fleet sales only in the US, but sold to consumers) and there is a 2008 model for sale now.

There never was, to my knowledge, a car that looks like the 2007 Taurus called "Five Hundred." The Five Hundred is a different car that was based on a Volvo platform.

Are you a nitwit? Or do you just play one on the Internet.
I never made an argument inconsistent with the Wikipedia article.
The fact is that until the end of the 2007 model year, the Taurus and the Five Hundred were different cars built on different platform with no relationship to each other, other than they were both built and sold by the same car company.
When you get a clue, let us know.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
FACT: The 2007 Taurus was built at the Atlanta plant, the 2007 500 was built in the Rouge plant. The Atlanta plant was closed and the previous Taurus was discontinued.
FACT: The car currently being built in the Rouge plant and shown at the NYC auto show is a restyled, upgraded 500 with a bigger engine and new drive train and renamed the 2008 Taurus and the 2007 Freestyle was restyled upgraded with a bigger engine and new drive train and renamed the 2008 Taurus X, regardless of our friend Jeff's opinion.
mike

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike Hunter wrote:

Yeah, they renamed the 500 the Taurus. As I said all along.
Have a lovely evening.
Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff wrote:

I see where the confusion is coming from. You said they "switched the Taurus name to the 500."
This means that they renamed the Taurus "500," when you really meant they renamed the new 500 to "Taurus."
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff wrote:

That's what Mike said. Ford switched the Taurus name to the 500 platform. You just read it funny.
Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff wrote:

Jeff, tell me when the 2007 Tauruses were built. When you can answer that, you will be answering your own question. Then Google up some news from 10/2006 to 11/2006 using the search argument "Chick-Fil-A Taurus Atlanta" for some more good reading. It's all about "the last Taurus".
The 2008 Taurus never came to be until months later at the car show. And, I'll bet they build some of those in 2007.
On second thought, don't take that bet. I've seen a few hundred '08's already.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
trainfan1 wrote:

It is *August* 2007, and you say they are selling 2008 models. They closed the plant in October or November 2006. So guess what? They made the 2007 models in 2006 before they closed the plant.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.