FORD RANGER 2WD 5-SPEED 2.3 4CYL FUEL ECONOMY--ACTUAL DATA PLEASE

I would appreciate hearing from owners as to what kind of actual fuel economy they have gotten with these trucks...I'm only getting slightly better than 15 mpg. Runs fine, check engine light goes on at startup
then goes off and stays off. Are these things gas pigs? Thanks in advance.

I live in the DC metro area, so my driving is all city. Additionally, I use my 97 2.3 SuperCab 4x2 for towing my mower and trailer around. It's not too heavy, but still, a load. Even with all this, and the A/C on in summer, I get 20 in the city.
CJB

Thanks, CJB
Have you ever had any problems with it where it started to suck gas ?
Also, has anyone else had a gas consumption problem with such a truck and discovered what it was?

You don't specify the year of your truck. I can tell you that the Rangers are prone to cracking of the fuel filler tube. When this happens, you not only will end up with occasional leaks, especially when fueling, you end up with an unpressurized fuel system. This will reduce the fuel economy I've been told.
Obviously consider the regular tune-up items. For example, my first Ranger was a 92 4.0 V-6. It was very sensitive to air filters. If I let the air filter go beyond 12k-15k miles, the economy would be measurably lower. Replacing the filter would immediately bring the MPG's back to normal.
Fuel filter, ignition parts, air intake and exhaust constrictions should all be considered.
CJB

It's a 1989 truck. Thank you for taking the time to post. I will consider all of this. Fred

I have the 3.0L V6 5spd, getting a little over 20mpg. 1998 model. When I got it, it was getting about 8mpg. What I've fixed in between: Had a bad coil and wasn't running on all cylinders. Replaced the coil, wires, and plugs. That made the biggest difference. New fuel filter. Cleaned out the intake manifold and changed the air filter. Oil change, washed out the engine with diesel fuel, and switched to synthetic. Truck had been filled with penzoil before and had a lot of sludge. Had a loose belt tensioner and was squealing a lot. Since all of the accessories weren't getting full power due to the slipping, they all stayed on/loaded more. Front wheel bearings were loose. Ball joints were bad. Alignment was off. Tires were low. Cooling system was full of trash. MPG seemed to go up by about two after I flushed the system. Wasn't running hot. I suppose the water pump just had to work harder pushing all of that sludge around. Removed trash between radiator and AC condenser core. Replaced DPFE sensor for EGR system after check engine light came on. Replaced a door switch so the dome light would actually go out. More annoying than anything else. The ignition coil problem was the big one, and accounted for half of the mileage. All the rest was more or less death by a thousand cuts from all the other mechanical problems.

On Mar 16, 1:54 am, "B.B."

Thank you for taking the time to post. I will consider all of this. Fred