ford ranger intermittant starting problem

I own a 94 ford ranger. It starts the majority of the time. When it does not start the check-engine light that normally comes on when you turn the key halfway forward does not come on at all. I have replaced the fuel
pump and filter, the ignition module and switch, the computer,the fuel pump relay and the cadillidic converter. I can tell when its not going to start because of the check-engine light. When the check- engine light comes on when I turn the key forward it starts everytime. When its not wanting to start the check engine light does not come on, sometimes it takes only a few minutes of trying before it starts again, sometimes it takes hours.The check engine light seems to be the only symptom that I have noticed. Please help if you can!
When it doesn't start describe what happens. I'm assuming the starter turns the motor over but the motor does not fire?
Have you checked for spark during a no start?
Have you checked fuel pressure during a no start?
The starter does turn the motor over but it does not fire. I've had one mechanic drive it for a week to check for spark during a no start and he said it was definitely a electrical problem so I guess it didn't spark. I'll have to call him and double check that. I have taken the vehicle to autozone to check for codes but they said the check engine light has to be staying on all the time. Have you heard of problems similar to this being caused by a faulty crank shaft sensor?
Forgot, did you scan for any codes? Scan the computer for KOEO and KOER codes and post them. If you don't have a scanner I think Autozone will scan them for you.
drummer opined in

The problem's probably in either the ign switch or the EEC relay, or the wiring in between.
Check the Relay module connections. No I dont know where it is but i found this on autozone's site..
UNDER HOOD, DRIVER SIDE, FRONT SIDE OF SHOCK TOWER, REAR OF BATTERY, MOUNTED IN FUSE/RELAY BOX