Ford Ranger Production

I heard they are going to stop making the ford ranger ... this is the last model year for it, is that true?

Reply to
Picasso

The production factory in the US is the Twin Cities factory in St. Paul, Minn. It is in the process of being shut down, in 2008. There is supposed to be a new model in 2010 that is to replace the American Ford Ranger and US Mazda B-series. Future product plans will be announced closer to the closure of the plant. Presumably this will end the current generation of the US Ford Ranger.

The Ford Ranger sold outside the US is a different truck, based on the a Mazda truck (but similar to the US Ranger). Production of this truck will not be affected.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well that is interesting, I didn't think ford would cause a gap in productino of such a seemingly well selling truck. So the factory will be producing trucks up until when, do you suspect? Some time mid year perhaps?

Reply to
Picasso

The truck is selling at about 8000 or 9000 a month, so close to 100,000 per year. I guess they could make 120,000 extra of the the 2008 model to close the gap until the 2010 comes out.

Anyway, they will announce plans before the plant closes.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Actually that depends on the market. In Mexico they sell a variation of the US Ford Ranger. They even have a true four door version in Mexico that for some silly reason they have never offered in the US. I rode in one a few years ago and thought it would have sold well here. But I guess it might have competed with the SportTrac.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ford has had a truck under development since the late nineties that has been in the wings to take a spot in Fords truck line, currently filled in part by the Ranger, but it is not a replacement. It is the F100, a larger more powerful work truck than the Ranger.

The F100 was scheduled to be introduced a year after the new bigger F150 came to market as a 2004 model but has been, and my still be, delayed by market forces

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well a tougher truck than the ranger would be warmly received. ford already has the sporttrac for people who want this style of vehicle.

But then again, no quarter ton is a real work truck.

I'll be awaiting the F100

Reply to
Picasso

Yet, if you only carry loads once in a while, but do need the space, a small truck like the Ranger, Tacoma or the Colorado (which I think replaced the S10) can be just the ticket.

My dad had an Toyota SR5 and Chevy S10 for years. They were great for delivering small loads, like mufflers and small parts and carrying the odd engine or two and bigger loads when needed, though, of course, not all the time.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

A Ranger is not a quarter ton truck. My Father owned nothing but Rangers from 1983 until he passed away. I've persoanlly loaded over a ton on a Ranger. Admittedly I would not have wanted to drive 100 miles loaded that way, but it certainly handled it well when we were planting.

When properly equipped, the Ranger has a higher payload capacity than any of the other small trucks (Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado) - 1580 lbs.

A Ranger is a damn fine work truck. Much better than the Frontier I bought last year.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White