Ford Scorpio Cosworth 24 Valve 2.9 BOB engine information wanted.

Hi,
As a TVR S1 owner I have put a Ford Scorpio Cosworth 24 Valve engine in my car. It is a 2.9 BOB engine and I am looking for all information on the engine I
can get.
So whatever info you got will be most welcome.
Especially I am interested in how the engine can be diagnosed. What kind of protocol is used (RS232 with a VT100 terminal) or is it something more special. Specific diagnostic software. Where can I get find it in case this is necessary?
Where do I find info about how to link up the computer to the engine's management system.Information on ECU etc.
Thanks in advance,
Joost van der Velden. (Using my friends e-mail address).
Apparently on date Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:07:11 +0200, "Paul"

PMW - pulse width modulated - you can get converters into rs232 from various places such as www.obd-2.com

With one of the above.
Totally useful site for the engine as well, www.fordscorpio.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com raved thus:
:: PMW - pulse width modulated - you can get converters into rs232 from :: various places such as www.obd-2.com :: ::: Where do I find info about how to link up the computer to the ::: engine's management system.Information on ECU etc. :: :: With one of the above.
Here's a cool idea which I would do (if I had the time, money, don't think the lease company would be too happy etc. etc).
Fit an in-car PC with all the usual gubbins.
Now rip out the dash instruments and stick a second monitor in there, then plug the OBD2 thingumy into the car PC, fire some virtual instruments up on the dashboard and away you go. Never seen that done before. Plus you could customise it for various applications: on a track day? Do away with the speedo and just have a huge rev counter! Ooh, ooh, or make your own heads up display!
Or are my fingers typing faster than my brain is thinking here (as usual)...
--

Abo: spotter for #9 truck Pete 'Wilky' Wilkinson

www.pickuptruckracing.com
snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...

I think the clear plastic from a CD case has sufficient opacity/imperfections to make it usable as a HUD.
Sure I read it somewhere.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Oh you can go to extremes on this, the technology is there even though cars are somewhat bespoke and getting the screen working right is a bit of a trick. Also, the controls are unsuitable at the moment, you can't fiddle about with a mouse while driving.
Here's another bit of kit worth acquiring, to go with the OBD http://www.roadtune.co.uk/acatalog/RoadTune_Products.html
I've toyed with the idea of doing this on the V8, with a couple of cheap ipaqs for touchscreen control units and customisable displays, combined with a PC screen behind the dash glass in place of an instrument panel.
There's a whole bunch of things to add, you've got your EMS system monitoring the drive train, i.e. automatic gearbox, engine, temperatures and so forth. You can add GPS for absolute position finding and INS for precision monitoring of accelerations, speeds, tyre performance, etc. You can add things like smart-tyre sensors, little gadgets that you fit to the wheel rims that radio a receiver to tell it the current tyre air pressure and temperature, temp and pressure sensors in different places in the oil galleries / coolant tubes / air intakes, brake pads, discs, and so forth. An internet connection to download traffic information in real time so you can act on it, e.g. via the mobile phone data communication as well as actual voice calls with a hands free, radio muting function.
Then you have, as you say, a customised application displaying all this information in a suitable way, e.g. when navigating, you care about a map of where you are, maneouvres coming up, direction, speed, fuel range, eta, and similar bits of information. On a track day, it's all about tyre forces and stressing the engine, brake temps, etc. Maybe a multifunction indicator-type lever to control the display and a button to select which one you wish to view.
Maybe the system has wireless internet, so that other cars can communicate with each other and pass on information to save bandwidth. Screens have to change brightness for night driving, so an ambient light sensor, and you can track your car via the GPS / accelerometer and mobile phone data output so it's hard to steal.
It can only be a matter of time before manufacturers include all this as standard. Microsoft suggested it back in the nineties, but it didn't catch on then as people thought it would mean their cars crashed a lot.
http://www.microsoft.com/automotive/windowsautomotive/default.mspx
So long as it is easy to reboot and does not control critical functions like brakes, I can see a lot of potential in this type of thing, I just wish MS wasn't likely to be the provider... ;)
snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com wrote:

You'd need a navigator to operate it all though...
you sure it's a bob engine and not a boa? tiwn chain and octopus inlet for the bob as opposed to the nomrla set up you find under most sierras with singe chain and square top end

It's from a Scorpio donor, so the engine will be a BOB:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/24valve.htm
The Granadas had the BOA.
There's tonnes more information about the Scorpio and BOB engine around that website, (I know it because I've got one as well, of course.) It's not spam, because it's an owners club site and doesn't sell anything. :)
Apparently on date Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:51:13 +0100, " dojj"

i know all about the site :) been about for agers and ages but to use the bob engine you need stand alone manegement to make it run, otherwise you need to figure out a way to disable the PATS or you will be left with the whole car loom and key to use it and seing as no one has done it before, it's quite an achievement if he has :)

my
engine
find