Ford Taurus

I have a 98 Taurus with 89k on it. My battery light comes on when I am accelerating. My lights dim and my blower motor slows. Once I get up to speed and the rpm's drop back the lights may come back to normal, but not always. Sometimes I have to slow down for the lights to come back up. What could cause this? I've checked the serpentine belt and alternator. They seem fine.

Reply to
Dave50

That sounds like what happened when my alternator was going bad, have you checked the voltage it is putting out?

Auto Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

"They seem fine." I think he means they were still there. The belt was black. The alternator was silver and not rusty looking. That should work, right? He kind of suspects the alternator, but that would cost lots more than cleaning a cable or something. Sorry Dave, the next step is to check the charging circuit with a meter on you way out to the parts store or repair shop.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Take your alternator someplace they will test it. Have the battery checked too. When you buy a new alternator, don't get the cheapest thing Autozone has. I bought two with one year guarantees. First one lasted 14 months, second lasted 13. They are GUARANTEED to die with your wife and kids in the car, when you are not around.

Reply to
Scott

Chedk the tensioner too... actually put a bar on it and work it to be sure it's taking in the slacl it's supposed to.

Rob

and alternator.

Reply to
trainfan1

Um, yeah. Seem fine? Milk from last July in the fridge is still white, too. Knock yourself out. Go to your friendly car parts store and see if they'll check the alternator. I'll betcha a cuppa fivebux coffee that it's on its way out.

Happy alternator swapping!

Reply to
GMach3

Actually it is always a good idea to check for dirty cables first. They are cheap and can cause problems with charging for sure.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I did replace the alternator and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Reply to
Dave50