Ford Taurus 1994 3.8 200k - Over run at stop lights.

I have a Taurus Wagon 1994 with 3.8 engine with about 200k miles on it.

Sometimes when I come to a stop at a light the engine does not slow down immediately. In other words Im driving along in street traffic then come to a stop light. I come to a stop but I can still feel the engine not fully coming to an idle. I know if I took my foot off the brake I would go at

20-35km. If I keep my foot on the brake then after 20 seconds or so the car will calm down and idle at the regular speed. Its like sometimes it take too long to bring it to Idle.

Is there any advice on what I should be looking at to alleviate this problem.

Steve (7willie)

Reply to
news

My first guess would be a sticky Idle Air Controller or throttle.

You can check the throttle easily by having somebody move the gas pedal, then release it. Check at the throttle body to see if it fully returns quickly, and doesn't get stuck almost at the end. You may need to try this with a cold or hot engine, as gunk or other stuff in the throttle body could be causing the throttle plate or shaft to stick.

The other cause is the Idle Air Controller (IAC). When your foot is off the throttle, the throttle plate is essentially closed. The IAC bypasses some air around it to control the idle speed. It's just a rod that moves in and out to vary the amount of air. If it gets gunked up, it may not be moving properly.

With 200K miles, your throttle body probably needs a good cleaning, both inside and out.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Reply to
news

I agree that the intake most likely needs cleaned. Get some good throttle body cleaner. It should say "throttle body" on it somewhere, and oxygen sensor safe.

I'd say that your problem is more related to the throttle cable though. Clean the intake first, of course, since it's possible that's it, and it's cheaper and easier than replacing the cable.

For more info, check out

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

sounds like either the throttle linkage is sticking or the IAC, Idle Air controler is either bad or going bad......

Reply to
jim

Reply to
getupand

thats right, that is why you use only throttle body cleaner and not carb. cleaner or some other solvent.. or you could just put in a new clean throttle body as another remedy....

Reply to
jim

That warning is there for good reason. If you use carburetor cleaner instead of throttle body cleaner, you will damage emissions components. The warning label is to keep folks who are ignorant of that fact from messing up their cars. Throttle body cleaner is perfectly safe in throttle bodies and intakes.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown