Ford Taurus brake problem

I was on the highway doing about 60mph when I went to apply the brakes, I had NONE. After coasting for miles I was able to get off the highway. I checked the brake fluid and it was empty. I filled it and
just made it to the end of the off ramp when my brake light came on and again the fliud was empty. I had the car towed to my house and found that the lines coming from my ABS had been worn thru.
There is a metal stiffener that wraps around the radiator hose and it rides directly on the ABS lines. After 50,000 miles it wore right thru the lines. I couldnt believe it. When I went to the Ford dealer to have it fixed ($1300) I asked them to file a report with Ford.
A few weeks ago I had the chance to look at another Taurus and the radiator stiffener sit in the same spot.
Has anyone else experienced this condition?

u bought a POS
hurc ast

lmfao

I would also file a report with the folks at the National Highway Traffic Safety Commission.
Jeff

How could it cost $1300 to replace a piece of brake line????

Brakes are expensive to work on because there is a liability issue. If a driver can not stop a car it could very well be a death sentence. Brakes are a critical component that can not be done as a botched job, it's definately not something that should be gone cheaply on.
This would explain the high price. The mechanics didn't simply work on one portion of the brake lines, they had to spend their own sweet time inspecting the entire brake system!

I disagree. They have had to inspect the entire system, but that doesn't take 10 hours. It takes more like an hour. It does not explain the high cost. But we don't know what was done, either.
Jeff

After having one line burst, I had ALL of the brake lines replaced (I had just had some fairly major surgery and wasn't in shape to do it myself). The total cost was less than $500.
Jeff wrote:

For that kind of change, i smell a ABS controller or ABS pump. Either that, or a over sized reamer......
Bob
-
"BOB URZ1" wrote: > Jeff wrote: > > > &lt; snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com&gt; wrote in message > > > &nbsp;> > Brakes are expensive to work on because there is a > liability issue. If > &nbsp;> > a driver can not stop a car it could very well be a > death sentence. > &nbsp;> > Brakes are a critical component that can not be done > as a botched job, > &nbsp;> > it's definately not something that should be gone > cheaply on. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > This would explain the high price. The mechanics > didn't simply work on > &nbsp;> > one portion of the brake lines, they had to spend > their own sweet time > &nbsp;> > inspecting the entire brake system! > > > > I disagree. They have had to inspect the entire system, but > that doesn't > > take 10 hours. It takes more like an hour. It does not > explain the high > > cost. But we don't know what was done, either. > > > > Jeff > > For that kind of change, i smell a ABS controller or ABS pump. > Either that, or a over sized reamer...... > > Bob > > > -
Thats correct. The ABS controller plus the lines connected to the controller. They come as a set so you have to replace all of them. I think there are a total of 6 lines. I saved the lines they replaced but couldnt tell if there is a difference in the bends.
Ive checked the clearence between the rad hose and the lines and its now over and inch. That leads me to believe that the bends were changed somewhere down the road. BTW the labor charge was over $500.

your advice is BOGUS get some certification
and just what does this useless piece of idiocy have to do with the posters question??? how does an idiot like you come up with a connection between a fan clutch and a brake line???

lmfao ashton knows lmfao
hurc ast
snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com says...

Why didn't you use your parking/emergency brake instead of 'coasting for miles?'. That is what it is for.
Also, what year car? The Taurus has been around for a long time, and if it was that bad, you'd think there would have been a recall or more messages about it by now.
"Andrew Rossmann" wrote: > In article
> snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com says... > > I was on the highway doing about 60mph when I went to apply > the > > brakes, I had NONE. After coasting for miles I was able to > get off the > > highway. I checked the brake fluid and it was empty. I > filled it and > > just made it to the end of the off ramp when my brake light > came on > > and again the fliud was empty. I had the car towed to my > house and > > found that the lines coming from my ABS had been worn thru. > > Why didn't you use your parking/emergency brake instead of > 'coasting > for miles?'. That is what it is for. > > Also, what year car? The Taurus has been around for a long > time, and > if it was that bad, you'd think there would have been a recall > or more > messages about it by now. > > -- > If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before > replying! > All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent > of the > law!! > http://home.att.net/~andyross
I did use the emergency brake when the car slowed down enough. But Im not hitting the emergency brake doing 60 mph.