ford taurus gas gauge

the gas gauge is flaky, up and down and the check engine light it on. it points to the gas gauge circuit, I would like to replace the gas gauge regulator before dropping the gas tank to replace the sender.
where is the regulated voltage fed from? is it user replaceable?
thanks
you didnt say what year you have,but those haynes manuals at auto zone have schematics on wireing .
On Nov 30, 7:14 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

it is a 2001, and the haynes manual has a schematic, but doesnt say if the regulator is intergal to the main chip that runs the car or if it is located somewhere else. the manual doesnt say a whole lot about the wiring, or at least mine doesnt.
as far as the other comments, I have not used shells gas in it, and it seem to be getting better (works more often) after using E85 in the car. the fuel pump was replaced about 40k miles ago, and it worked ok then.
is the sender part of the fuel pump? or is it seperate?

Do you live in one of the areas affected by the crummy Shell gas (too much sulfur)?
C. E. White wrote:

How does that affect the engine? I thought the only thing it affected was the emissions.
And it certainly wouldn't affect the fuel pump.
Jeff

Read:
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/29/Tampabay/Tainted_gas_gums_up_f.shtml http://www.gasclaims.com/FAQ.html http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/press/2004/06032004.html http://www.gcmonitor.org/article.php?id%7 http://www.hilsoft.com/home/images/pdf%20&%20mp3/In%20re%20High%20Sulfur%20pub%20notice.pdf
It has been a long time since it happened, but I was wondering if this might be a delayed effect.
MTBE also is alleged to destroy fuel gauges (the sending unit) over time. But MTBE is no longer used (as far as I know).
Ed
The regulator is in the computer, so you can't fix it. I had this problem once and measured the voltage and it was ok. It turned out in this case to be a bad connection at the plug to the gas tank sender.

http://www.hilsoft.com/home/images/pdf%20&%20mp3/In%20re%20High%20Sulfur%20pub%20notice.pdf

message
what is the voltage supposed to be at the sender unit? open circuit with the sender disconnected? or hooked up to the sender?