Ford Taurus Tire Belts Keep Breaking

I have an odd problem with my '96 Taurus. It keeps breaking front tires. By this I mean, the inner belt of one front tire (don't remember which side) keeps breaking every couple years. I replace the front tires and about 2 years later one of the front tires, still with plenty tread, shakes the car. I take it to the shop, they tell me that one of the tires has a broken belt, then repeat step 1 (buy new front tires) and use them for about 2 years. And with each set, I've used a different brand of tire.

Has anyone heard of this? Could there be something wrong with the rim or the front suspension?

glenn

Reply to
Glenn Hodges

yup ford uses cheap suspemsion

hurc ast

Reply to
3 dog nite

I've never heard of such a thing. With all due respect, I have a few questions. I'm not trying to be quip, here.

1) You might be changing brands...but are the tires you're selecting of high quality? 2) Are you ROTATING the tires in a criss-cross fashion, which is NOT recommended for radial-belted tires? We used to criss-cross with old bias-ply tires. 3) What do you do with the car...drive it across railroad tracks? IOW, are your habits causative? 4) Have you ever had this problem with a different car?
Reply to
Jerry

Well, there are millions of cars out there that have "cheap Ford suspension," and they do not share this bizarre problem. wrote

Reply to
Jerry

Glenn Hodges opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Not unusual... there may be some cause and effect with the taurus, but it's ALSO true that tires, ESP lower cost ones, have tendency for this.

I have had REPEATED belt-breaking problems with name-branded cheap tires.. such as found at discount stores.

Suggest near top of line Michelins or Goodyears

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Like the other posters have suggested, avoid potholes/curbs (keep the wife out of the car ) and buy good tires, It is possible that there is a slight out of round on the rim. but you'd likely feel that when you're running on the highway. Cheap to replace if it's a standard steel rim, if you feel that's the problem.

Are you running the tires within spec air pressure wise?

ALSO if your tires have been "repaired" it's possible that the steel belts have rusted/torn resulting in what you describe.

anyone else have thoughts?

Reply to
Some ga

Ford doesn't make tires but Ford is the ONLY vehicle manufacture to warrant the original tires on their vehicles. More likely it is the tires you are buying and/or the way the vehicle is driven.

mike hunt

Glenn Hodges wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

Is Ford the only manufacture to use struts?

mike hunt

3, dog, snipped-for-privacy@swatch.com wrote:
Reply to
BigJohnson

I don't think that it is a big deal that Ford Warrants the tires on its vehicles. On most of the other vehicle makers, the tire maker warrants the tires. So either way, the tires are under warranty.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Perhaps you would think differently if your vehicle came with Firestone tires as standard equipment LOL

mike hunt

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson
1) Brands: The tires on there now I got from Shell. Don't know the quality but they have 18K miles on them. Before that I don't remember & don't have papers on them. 2) I've had various shops rotate them. I know how they should be rotated but whether the shops did them properly I don't know. 3) No I don't drive them across RR tracks. I drive ON the RR tracks :-) 4) Never had this prob with a different car.

I've suspected that a member of the family had been hitting curbs or something but there's never any sign of external sidewall damage. Weird huh.

Reply to
Glenn Hodges

Well thanks everyone for the feedback. Maybe my car jsut needs a new driver! :-)

Reply to
Glenn Hodges