Ford - This is driving me nuts

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

There are a few flavors of Dura Spark modules, 4 if I remember correctly, it's been a long time. They were usually identified by the color of the grommet where the wires enter the box. Match up the connectors and the grommet color and you are good to go. Failures were common on these modules so used modules are a real coin toss, especially on parts this old. I remember seeing guys with 3 bad ones screwed to the inner fender, they would switch the connectors around as they quit working. A quick search of Autozone shows a Wells brand (yeech) for $19.99. A quality module can likely be had for ~$30.
Tom Adkins wrote:

I have personally seen 4 of the Wells ones come dead in the box....
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Mike Romain wrote:

Yep. Good stuff alright.
everyone seems to be mentioning the module in this case. I too had a ford, 77 to be exact, with a 400 and it did the exact same thing. After replacing every ignition component, and having it do the same thing, the culprit turned out to be a faulty ignition switch. I do have to agree with the others, it sounds more like a module, but if that doesn't work, you may want to try a new switch, and not the lock and tumbler part, some parts techs at a few of these part houses don't realize there are generally two parts to these assembleys. good luck
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:55:16 -0400, Tom Adkins

Hmmmm, alot cheaper that I thought. I had to replace one on an Olds once and that cost over $80, and was just a little thing that went in the distributor.
Having a basic understanding of electronics, what is inside them anyhow? I know they must have some sort of SCR or Triac and a trigger device (IC). A few capacitors and resistors...... Right? All they really do is provide a pulse to replace points, and its picked up from that magnet rotor in the dist. They cant be all that complicated. Kind of makes me wonder what that box is so big.
Mark