Ford to Police: get lost!

Page 2 of 6
|The real problem isn't ford, it's buyers in the USA who simply buy the |boring appliance vehicles and don't ever look at a technical spec sheet. |If people stopped buying the crapola maybe we'd get the nicer cars here.
|That and only that is going to motivate the finance and marketing folks |who call the shots.
Gee, have you guys really looked around lately? We have a bewildering array of very good cars to choose from today. It's never been better!!
To pick on the CV is like picking the sheepdog out of the flock and saying "That's typical of the sheep we get -ugly as sin!"
The CV exists because people - fleets, cops, and business people - continue to buy. And they buy it because that's what they want. Simple supply and demand.
Other people buy cars like PT Cruisers and F150s. Different strokes etc.

Really? Where are the cars like the Aussie Ford falcons? OOps. You want an I6 and RWD you'll have to shell out the cash for a BMW. We'll see how badly GM downgrades that holden they are making into the GTO.
You cannot look at the Ford and GM line ups down under and say we get the best choices in USA with the boring front drivers they are feeding to the sheeple.

It applies to practically every domestic manufacturer's car outside a few limited possible exceptions. Ford does try occasionally to give us some decent cars from Europe on the low end of the market but messes up on the implementation. (Contour, Focus, Capri, etc)

Wow, rebodied neons and big pickup trucks. Wooptie friggin' doo.
Where can I get one of these *NEW* on the north american market from a "domestic" brand?
http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2.174
Or this:
http://www.newfalcon.com.au/ute /
Maybe they should quit plowing them into the cars the chase after.
Matt

safer
car
rather
Re: Ford to Police: get lost! Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Jul 24, 2003, 4:18am (EDT+4) From: mcollins snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Matt) Maybe they should quit plowing them into the cars the chase after. Matt ==============================You should really read the story before you mouth off. It's not about police cars running into other cars. It's about police cars getting hit at highway speeds when they're pulled over on the side of the road.
Eric
You're right, I didn't even read the whole post. Those chase shows on TV came to mind was all. I was thinking they needed something with a little more battering power.
(Matt)

Matt wrote:

Front end crashes are not the crux of the claim. These agencies claim that the fires occur upon *rear* end impact of their police cruisers.
Isaiah Beard wrote:

In other words, Texas cops drive too slow?
The problem is that pigs are so damned stupid. They hide in the bushes and when they decide to find a better hiding spot they will pick a horrible time to move into traffic and they barely touch the gas pedal. If you ask me all those dead and burned cops got exactly waht they deserved for not doing their job properly and ignoring unsafe driving behavior for the easier job of hiding in the bushes to catch speeders.

Can I take a guess? you were cited for speeding recently, right. LOL
mike hunt
Cory Dunkle wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:17:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:
I'm thinking it was a recent bust of his crop of marijuana plants growing in his basement.

Re: Ford to Police: get lost! Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Aug 10, 2003, 9:31pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (CoryDunkle)
The problem is that pigs are so damned stupid. They hide in the bushes and when they decide to find a better hiding spot they will pick a horrible time to move into traffic and they barely touch the gas pedal. If you ask me all those dead and burned cops got exactly waht they deserved for not doing their job properly and ignoring unsafe driving behavior for the easier job of hiding in the bushes to catch speeders.<<<<<<<
Let me guess, you're 17 years old, have no real world experience & you just got nailed by a cop for speeding. Oh and if infact they did get you for speeding, then they were doing their job just fine. No one ever said they play fair. Deal with it.
Eric
C. E. White opined in

I'm with Ford on this... they should just show them the video of the Chicago rear-ending.. where was the fire, the explosion?
AND MAYBE someone ougt to do a survey on how many cruisers using the old flashers got hit, vs the ones who use strobes... Huh?
says...

Exactly. I don't think there is a car out there with a rear mounted fuel tank that wouldn't rupture the tank.
But if those PD's are so concerned, and Ford wants to sell - which they should right now as the market isn't exactly great - then install fuel bladders inside the tanks. It might add a couple hundred to the price of the car but then a rupture wouldn't be a problem.
When did they move the tanks? My '95 CV has the tank above the axle and a trunk so deep I can't see the bottom <g>.
Paul E

What I'd like to know is why this is such a big issue now... I find it hard to believe that the old Ford Customs that police used for tens of years would fare much differently in a high speed rear-end collision. Maybe there's a little more trunk to absorb the impact, but still, at highway speeds hitting a car that is barely moving shoudl easily get through or mangle the rear frame rails and body enough to hit the tank.
Car's have been made with the gas tank in that same spot for decades, and only now is there a big bruhaha about it. All I have to say to the police is to drive safely and it's not an issue, either that or start using Geo Metros as police cruisers like they do in England.

in
I'd
Car.
fuel
they
of
There is an easy answer. If a police officer in injured on the job he is covered by state workman's compensation laws. Under the WC laws, litigation is not allowed because the employer assumes ALL liability for ALL injuries on the job. Even if it's your fault that you got hurt. For the shark lawyers to get their millions they have turned to product liability laws in states that are known for liberal juries on product liability awards like Arizona and Mississippi. It is all about money. The NHTSA conducted an investigation of 1997 through 2002 CV and found NO product defect. They kicked the props out from under any attempt at litigation in their findings, by Ford proving it builds the CV to take a rear hit of 50 MPH, the NHTSA lists the CV as the SAFEST, by far, of any police vehicle far exceeding the 30 MPH federal standard to which all others are built. That does not satisfy the Ford haters, but so what, who cares what they think?
mike hunt
Cory Dunkleberger wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Well, if anyone here is a nascar fan they would have seen Bobbie Labontes recent wreck where the rear of his car hit the wall and the car was fully engulfed in flames from a ruptured fuel cell. Now, this is in a car with a full roll cage and fuel cell with bladder. So even with all this protection, there was still fire and fuel spillage. Morel of the story, nothing is 100%.
BOB
BOB URZ wrote:

Or Ryan Newman's fire because the engine grenaded and flying connecting rods and block pieces cut a fuel line. That, too, can happen to an "ordinary" car on the highway. Not LIKELY, but POSSIBLE.
KiloDelate wrote:

I thought Ford had already agreed to do that, along with a couple of structural changes IIRC. I think as long as they volunteer to do that, the lawsuit should pretty much be moot.
says...

And isn't it interesting that Ford had another car that had disastrous results when hit from the rear. Alot of the problem is the media - when I saw the initial reports I thought to myself that at 70MPH ain't much isn't gonna go up in a collision.
But police departments need to learn the old addage 'you can't outrun Motorola.'
Rhode Island has had a no-chase rule in effect for several years now and most every department violates it. Just recently I saw a bunch of North Providence police cruisers deep into Providence via secondary roads at rates of speed well in excess of the posted limit. And for what - a stolen car. I have no sympathy for an officer who violates a no-chase rule and gets himself killed in the process.