Ford to Police: get lost!

Page 3 of 6

You know, the police work for US and are subject to the law just like everyone else. The next time you see this type of activity, it's entirely within your rights as a citizen to follow THEM and issue THEM a citation. Sounds like speeding and C&N would do nicely in the case you mention here. If you don't want to get that close and personal, record the plates and make sure you call your state legislator with the information *every* time you see it happen. Follow up with a list to your state attorney general every so often. Hell, around here, going home is license to speed - if you're a cop.
| |> says... |> > Just typical brain dead politicians at work. Misrepresent a situation, |> > trump up some publicity, initiate a lawsuit to exort money, and then be |> > suprised when the target of your actions doesn't want to be freinds |> > anymore. Oh yeah, and have Clarence Ditlow agree with you..... |> |> And isn't it interesting that Ford had another car that had disastrous |> results when hit from the rear. Alot of the problem is the media - when |> I saw the initial reports I thought to myself that at 70MPH ain't much |> isn't gonna go up in a collision. |> |> But police departments need to learn the old addage 'you can't outrun |> Motorola.' |> |> Rhode Island has had a no-chase rule in effect for several years now and |> most every department violates it. Just recently I saw a bunch of North |> Providence police cruisers deep into Providence via secondary roads at |> rates of speed well in excess of the posted limit. And for what - a |> stolen car. I have no sympathy for an officer who violates a no-chase |> rule and gets himself killed in the process. | |You know, the police work for US and are subject to the law just like |everyone else. The next time you see this type of activity, it's entirely |within your rights as a citizen to follow THEM and issue THEM a citation. |Sounds like speeding and C&N would do nicely in the case you mention here. |If you don't want to get that close and personal, record the plates and make |sure you call your state legislator with the information *every* time you |see it happen. Follow up with a list to your state attorney general every so |often. Hell, around here, going home is license to speed - if you're a cop.
A few years ago a retired Texas state trooper wrote a book about how to beat a ticket. He noted in the intro that whenever he stopped someone for gross violations of speed limits - say 100 mph or more - odds were 90% it was an off-duty police officer. Of course, they expected "professional courtesy" when they got stopped.
When I lived in Ft Worth, it used to burn me to see all the suburban police cars, returning from county courthouse and going back to their city, speeding through Ft Worth at 85-90 mph, through Ft Worth radar traps with a wave, for no good reason other than they could. I had to move over on several occasions for them when they ran up on my bumper.
KiloDelate wrote:

Most of these lawsuits are not about chases. There about cop cars parked on the side of the road on super highways and having some jerk rear end them at speed (while the cop car is stationary)
Tell me what car is NOT going to be in bad shape with a 60 to 70+ MPH rear collision. I doubt that even a HUMMER would come out unscathed.
So what to do? Maybe borrow some of the Alien technology from area 51 and make the police cars hover. Until the drunks get hover cars, they would be safe. Maybe double deck the roof and put the gas tanks up there. Or do a Fred Flintstone and put holes in the floor for human motive power.
I am not one to usually side with ford, but a lot of this is all Lawyer BS. Maybe the police should get VW to open back up the bug plant in Mexico. Engine in the rear, gas tank in the front. Sounds like the solution. Interstate chases would be interesting though. If they got hit then, no gas explosion or fire. But it would lead new credence to the old saying "squashed like a bug".
BOB

Really? where would you put it? Under the back seat? So do you blame when a taxi company buys the used vic from the police department and lets the U joints go and at 350,000 miles the drive shaft let's go through the gas tank and floor boards sending burning gasoline into the passenger compartment? Oh ford of course, they shoulda made it front wheel drive or located the gas tank under the trunk because they knew taxi companies would neglect the cars at the end of their useful life. Just like they are expected to have designed the vehicle to take being rear-ended at 70mph when parked on the side of the road.
Or maybe the car should have a force field generator to prevent crashes. For crying out loud we aren't talking about 1000s of vehicles bursting into flame from parking lot bumps. We are talking about 29 vehicles bursting into flames after being hit at expressway speeds while parked over ten years and who knows how many 100s of thousands of cars being used 24/7 and how many thousands of crashes.
Not to forget, by the time the trunk is crushed on a vic, that's the backseat on smaller cars and it would still be a fuel tank rupture.

Of course....The Dukes of Hazzard Safety Ramp!
I like the way you think. I always taught my kids that the things you do in life have consequences. I would hope that they not land on someone. LOL
mike hunt
The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

I think that when a car is stolen the police shouldn't every chase after it. Just let the people who stole the car drive it until they decide to give it back. That will solve those chase problems. I'm sure KiloDelate will be glad to give up his car to criminals and instruct the police not to chase them!
Neon Leon
What is more important, your life or the car..?? If my car was stolen, I would not want a cop to risk his life in a chase to recover it. That is the insurances' job, it is part of the reason why I write that insurance check every month. I am pretty sure if that cop has a wife and kids they would share my opinion. One more thing about high speed pursuits.. In England, the police are specially trained to drive at high rates of speed in real world situations. Where is there a similar program for US police, especially the city police.? Driving at a training facility where you are the only car on the track does not count. And simply having a powerful car does not qualify you either.
On the original score, Ford ought to reposition the fuel tank on the Crown Vic. I got hit in the rear while driving a Taurus, with a differential speed of about 55mph. If the tank had been in the position it is in the Crown I might not be writing this today. I can only thank God and the design of the Taurus for saving my life.

it.
it

I have just gone out and checked my 1995 Ford Crown Victoria, and I have confirmed that the fuel tank in your Taurus is in no safer a position than the CV's tank (they are both in the same place, above the rear axle, outside the passenger compartment, behind the rear bench. My 'Vic is also equipped with the police interceptor package, so police cruisers also have their tanks in the safe place.
Make sure that you are not repeating someone else's nonsense before giving an opinion, as your opinion becomes associated with the nonsense, and any point that you might make is then ignored.

That's dangerously sounding like an arguement to get rid of RWD cars.

The man of a million names could make it up like everything else.
|Just a note: the GM locals are trying to get impalas into the police |dept. They gave the unmarked guys 6 of them. How they hold up |is yet to be seen. But i don't see the cops liking them any better |than the taurus they hated.
I propose they gas one up and park it on the should of Central Expressway in Dallas, and monitor results (from a distance). Shouldn't be long until a drunk nails it. Bring weinies and marshmellows.
No sir, I am not repeating someone else's nonsense, and I am not giving an opinion. Here are the facts,the Fuel Tank on my 1986, 1989,1990, and 1998 Taurus is in front of the rear axle, under the passenger seat, not between the rear axle and the body as in the CV. (I went to the junk yard to find a 95 CV just to be sure, Checked a 2003 CV also, OK.) Also, the Taurus has front and rear crumple zones that yields and spares the passenger compartment in a rear-end, or head on collision. That makes the Taurus safer with respect to the position of the fuel tank in rear end collision. I am not advocating, or, clamoring for a law suit, OK. But for you to say that the positioning on the fuel tank on the CV can not, or need not be improved is like having tunnel vision. Improving safety is part of my job, and I examine many cars, Domestic and Foreign, for design improvements. The CV is my car of choice for long trips, and I am sure I never will drive my car like the police do, or stop on the shoulder of Highways constantly, so I do not face the hazards they do. Things are bad as they are with Stupid Laws, Drunks and Mental cases, and Criminal elements. That is just a part of what the police face everyday, therefore they should not have to worry about equipment failure also. Even one such occurrence is too many.
wrote:

Crown
speed
the
outside
equipped
tanks
an
point
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote:

I've owned two vehicles that actually has this feature. The first was a 1968 (?) Toyota Corolla, which had the fuel tank mounted between the rear suspension towers. The second was an 1986 Audi 5000. The Quattro used the same fuel tank location as the FWD version, and ran the rear drive shaft underneath the fuel tank. Granted, a live rear axle complicates the engineering, but considering the type of service (See other post), it should be worth serious consideration.

For basic day to day transportation, the CV is solid transportation. A local non-urgent medical transportation company is using them (probably in PI trim) for routine patient transport.
The problem comes in when you put that same design into a use with a much higher probability of high-speed crashes. As I said in my other post, a high speed pursuit is about as close to racing use as the car is likely to get. Almost every sanctioning body I can think of specifies fuel cells in place of the original fuel tank.

Is this the same "emotionalism" that recognized the hazard associated with the mid-80s GM full sized pickups, with their fuel tanks _outside_ the frame rails?
/------------------------------------------------------------\ | George Ruch | | "Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?" | \------------------------------------------------------------/

Well - you're lucky your transmission didn't self destruct yet.
says...

And you completely disregard that most modern police departments not only have two-way radios in their cards, they also have inter-city ties too.
And LoJack works btw.

No way that happens at 15 mph. The town car has a full frame under there and a tempo would have impacted directly into the frame (or gone under it with brake dive)
You didn't think he actually expected us to believe that story did you? ;)
mike hunt
Brunt P wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in message Tomcat14 wrote:

I'm just telling you what I saw (two times). I could be off on the speed, but not by much because the Tempo that hit the Town Car was almost stopped so I said 15MPH. Plus it was an old Tempo and the damage was not horrible to it. The driver of the Tempo got out and appeared to be unhurt.The whole back end of the TC was opened like a tin can all the way into the rear deck of the back seat. I was flabergasted. I don't think the frame was that bent. The Tempo road over the frame and ripped the body. I remember that Ford was the company that used the bottom of the trunk as the top of the fuel tank in the Pinto and early Mustangs in order to save $7. They professed the safety of that cheesebox until they were ordered to recall them.

Only way it's possible is for the tempo to miss the structure of the vic entirely and just go through trim and sheet metal with it's structure.

It was never done in pintos and using the fuel tank as the trunk floor was common design of many manufacturers in the 1960s.
The fuel tank and the trunk floor are two different things. They are very closely spaced, though...