Ford to Police: get lost!

Page 4 of 6
Tomcat14wrote:

I'd agree.... no way in hell is that story true. The front of a Tempo is absolutely no match for the rear of a Town Car. We're talking Pee Wee Herman VS Lennox Lewis type of mismatch here. Bob

I didn't see it. I simply find it hard to believe. The only way it could happen is the tempo missing the structure of the vic. An improbable geometry of a crash IMO.
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:30:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote:
|> |>|
> [...]
I think that's just what he said - the Tempo rode up over the bumper of the TC, so you had a solid bumper against sheet-metal that was basically a big box with no internal support. If that Town Car had defective air lifts in the rear, as is very common, the rear bumper will be down 4 - 6 inches below the design height, which would put the bumper of any late-model car right where Brent P said it did - on top of the Lincoln's rear bumper.
But this doesn't really have anything to do with CVs, since they use standard shocks & springs in the rear.
Tomcat14

Wow, I sure hope you don't believe everything you read on Usenet. I know how Town Cars are built and I know how Tempos are built. No way in hell is Tomcat telling the truth. Bob

By the way:
http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_20030725_pcrash25.d68d0.html
KiloDelate wrote:

For those who'd rather not deal with a lengthy registration just to see a story, I'll post. What this has to do with the current thread though, I'm not sure.
Car crash hurts three responding city officers
07/25/2003
BY AMANDA MILKOVITS Journal Staff Writer
PROVIDENCE -- Three police officers were hurt when two cruisers collided while rushing to a call about gunshots near a Broad Street nightclub at around 1 a.m. yesterday.
They were trying to help two other police officers, who were dealing with a disturbance outside Club Caribe, when someone fired a gun a few feet away on Lenox Avenue. The large crowd outside the nightclub heard the gunshots and ran, and one of the officers hit his panic button to immediately call for help.
And, help was on the way. Officers all over the district sped to the nightclub. But before they could get to the scene, Patrolwoman Marsha Pitrone and Patrolmen Martin Hames and Shawn Kennedy crashed their cruisers into each other just a few blocks away.
Pitrone drove down Elmwood Avenue, while Kennedy headed up Potters Avenue, with Hames in the passenger seat, according to a police report. Blue lights flashing and sirens going, the cruisers crashed in the middle of the intersection.
The impact sent the patrolmen's cruiser fishtailing up onto the sidewalk and into a van that was trying to turn onto Elmwood Avenue, the police said. Pitrone's cruiser spun around in the street.
All three were treated at Rhode Island Hospital and released later yesterday, Capt. Richard Tarlaian said. The other motorist, Stanley Johnson Jr., 32, of Cranston, wasn't injured. The cruisers were heavily damaged.
It was unknown yesterday when the three would return to work or whether any would face disciplinary action. Pitrone, 37, has been on the police force for four years; the two patrolmen graduated from the Providence Police Training Academy last summer. Kennedy, 29, is the son of Maj. Paul Kennedy, and Hames, 28, is the son of Capt. Martin F. Hames.
At the Lenox Avenue incident, the police never found the gun or the shooter. However, one officer at the nightclub ended up in a fight with one man while they were trying to apprehend his brother.
A woman had pointed to a man she said was the shooter, and when Patrolman Dwight Eddy saw him reach into his pants while holding an unidentified object, he drew his gun and ordered the man to the ground, the police said.
That's when Dion Robinson, 18, the man's brother, allegedly came after Eddy and told him to let his brother go. Patrolman Christopher Owens grabbed Robinson to move him away, but Robinson allegedly shoved the officer and tried to punch him. Owens struck Robinson with his baton, which Robinson allegedly tried to grab away from him. Owens and Robinson ended up fighting on the ground, until other officers arrived and helped subdue Robinson.
The police found that Robinson's brother wasn't involved in the shooting; however, Robinson was arrested.
Robinson, of 5 Dresser St., was charged with assault, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest.
Isaiah Beard opined

Hell, The way they handle it around most places would be to cite Johnson, the van driver.
Maybe the cops were distracted by his turn signal.
KiloDelate wrote:

> [...]
The police found that Robinson's brother wasn't involved in the shooting; however, Robinson was arrested.
Robinson, of 5 Dresser St., was charged with assault, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest.

| |> http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0307/19/autos-221387.htm |> |> BOB|> |I think it was a good decision, if those agencies think someone has a safer |car than a Crown Vic they should be buying them instead. If I were in a car |being rear ended by some clown doing 70MPH I can't think of a car I'd rather |be in. Except maybe in the front seat of a really stretched Town Car.
The Dallas suit isn't about dead police officers, it's about money. The lawsuit was filed shortly after Dallas announced a record budget shortfall. They were wringing their hands about how to come up with the money, then the suit was announced and we didn't hear another word about budget.
Rex in Fort Worth, thank God

Lots of people seem convinced that the tank is in an unsafe place, yet my 1995 police interceptor has it above the rear axle. If they have not moved it and people are still complaining about its safety, does any company supply a satifactory vehicle?

Not that I know of.

That's my point. If you make enough vehicles and use them enough there will be a wide variety of events that occur in low numbers.
On 7/30/03 1:28 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@texas.net, "Steve"

to say recently recurred. I still remember the exploding Ford scare in the late '70s. Same exact problem. Hit them in the rear and watch the explosion. In the summer of 1978, you could buy a used Ford for pocket change as everyone panicked and tried to unload them.

Also unfounded. Even the fireball pinto didn't have a higher incidence of fuel fire than other cars of its class in that era.
The issue with the pinto was that ford knew of a failure mode and did not correct it.
|I wouldn't say the problem only recently developed. Probably more correct |to say recently recurred. I still remember the exploding Ford scare in the |late '70s. Same exact problem. Hit them in the rear and watch the |explosion. In the summer of 1978, you could buy a used Ford for pocket |change as everyone panicked and tried to unload them.
That was about the same time as the infamous Exploding Chevy Pickup scare.
Rex B wrote:

Not quite. Chevy was already making the pickups with side-saddle tanks back then, but the infamous "Oh, it didn't blow up! Lets add some pyrotechnics for the cameras!" scare didn't hit until much much later, when the trucks had been merrily going about their business for almost 20 years total. Heck, millions of them are STILL going about their business...
BOB URZ wrote:

You know, I usually don't think a big company taking this tactic is a good idea, but this time I say, "GOOD for you, Ford!!" The whole "gas tank hazard" is a myth... ANY vehicle hit the way those cars were hit would turn into a fireball. I dare the money-grubbing agencies filing the suits try to find a safer car currently on the market than a Crown Vic. And I'm a Mopar guy!

Ford could help themselves here. They've heard of fuel cells? How about moving the fuel tank forward of the rear axle? A fuel cell mounted over the rear axle, with a firewall between the trunk and the back seat would probably would probably be the simplest solution.
The police interceptor versions are generally not going to be used for basic day to day transport. A high speed pursuit is about the closest to a racing application a street car is going to get. It would make sense for Ford to engineer safer a package for this use.
BOB URZ wrote:

Seems to me it would sorta blow their lawsuit out of the water, wouldn't it?
Shouldn't it?

About 1% of the speeding cops I see are displaying anything. They're just speeding because they can. We could and should put an end to that.

Who says?

And the injured policemen ought to be suing the police departments for providing such "unsafe" vehicles for their work. This reminds me of the flight attendants suing the tobacco companies for making the cigarettes rather than suing their employers for permitting passengers to smoke them.