Ford to Police: get lost!

Page 5 of 6
On a related note, I came across an article in the Blue Oval News, same subject, tonight. 350,000 police units, 20 years, 14 police deaths due to the rear-end collision fires. There was also an incident recently where a
female officer was inside on of the CV units and was rear-ended at ~100mph. She survived because the cruiser had the new plastic shield surrounding the fuel tank... Free for the police, $150 for you to buy and install.
Also a collaboration with reps from the aerospace industry for installing fire supression systems as another safety measure.
Here we go again, more BS in the NG's about the CV. The gas tank is, technically, behind the rear-end but it is ABOVE the axle. The fire suppression system will be offered as an option. During those same years you elude to, more officers died on frontal collisions and more officers died on bicycle patrol as well. Police work is dangerous. The NHTSA investigation into the CV resulted it a finding that the CV was not a hazard and in fact far exceed the federal standard for rear collisions. Just more Ford bashing by shark lawyers looking for a way around state workmen's compensation laws.
mike hunt
Jinxter wrote:

I hope that I didn't present that wrong... I'm completely behind Ford on this one. The stats just don't begin to prove the unsafe claim! That was also the intent of the article - how can a car this safe be unsafe?!

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

So what you're saying is it was WRONG of Ford to offer the shield for the gas tanks?
I am a Deputy Sheriff and if I had my way every police force in the country would be driving Crown vic's. Its the best car I have ever driven... great handling, incredible power and even really surprising in snow. The only thing I would ever change is the braking. As far as stopping in high speed situations they are good but could be better. Wouldnt trade my crown vic for any other police vehicle... Well ok Maybe a Hummer.. heh heh
AMEN, brother!
Rob * * *

Not even a Grand Marquis or a Town car?
...hehe just kiddin' man I like those too, and I'm not even a law enforcement. Where I live I think almost all the local police cars are Crown Vics. I think maybe some of the slightly older ones might be chevy caprice.
Now, Oklahoma Highway Patroll has some cameros......

A Hummer? You did mean one with the interceptor package right? Otherwise you couldn't catch up to a Chevette!
John

A modified SVT Focus (automatic, HD battery) is what you really need. Much better handling, braking, fuel economy and better in snow than the Crown Vic. Keep a few CVs around for transports and such. Of course you weren't looking for a rational solution - were you?

Too light.. they'd never be able to "PIT" all those hoopties all the criminals are driving..

The HD battery is for the radio.

And? That has nothing to do with the light weight of the Contour in general..
Chuck

We're discussing the SVT Focus where vehicle dynamics, including weight, result in excellent handling, fuel efficiency and more than enough "spunk" for the task at hand. Most any tuner can piece together something that'll easily out run a CV or anything else in a typical police stable. Radio's where made for situations like this. While on the subject, I think regular, non-packing citizens should not need to worry about 4 ton CVs, etc. careening down the highway at supra_legal speeds because the operator thinks someone deserves a ticket of one sort or another. No need for it and it's just plain dangerous for everyone involved, especially innocents. Hell, it's not unusual to see these joy riding CV pilots (term used very loosely) chasing well endowed motorcycles on public streets where pedestrians, including children, frequent. Absolutely ridiculous and it's NOT what they're being paid for. So, yes, the modified SVT Focus that I suggested is indeed entirely suitable to the task at hand.
Zip Disk wrote:

4 Tons???? Even Excursions don't weigh 4 tons.
Crown Victoria - 4057 lb - i.e., 2.029 ton (US short ton) Focus SVT 2 Dr - 2750 lb - i.e., 1.375 ton (US short ton)
Ed

Exactly. My Rodeo tips the scales at 3900+lbs, and that's considered a "midsize" SUV.. my Taurus is about 3600+lbs and thats a midsize car..
Chuck

Yes, that should've been 2 tons.
Well you wouldnt catch me dead in a Focus and it wouldnt be suitable for Police use....Far too small and if you have ever seen the front seat area of a cruiser you would understand that there is no way you could fit in all the equip. radio's and stuff. Not to mention if I am in a pursuit I sure as hell dont want to be in a tiny car.... I want atleast a little protection. Not to mention the room in the back seat for transporting subjects. I agree pursuits are not always the best way to deal with things but then again your not out there. Look closer into the subject before you get too anal about pursuits alright? I understand your view...just dont agree. Trust me we dont like putting our lives on the line for these idiots but sometimes you have to.

Well I'll tell you what... CIA agent Sydney Bristow / Jennifer Garner looked very fine and dandy indeed throwing her little Focus SVT through all the paces in at least a couple of chase scenes on ABC's "Alias" last season... but... I liked her all-black Crown Vic Interceptor better...
Rob * * *

Someone has to start thinking outside the box. You're the professional, why shouldn't it start with you?
A) I'm well aware of the equipment that occupies the front area of a typical CV. It'll fit in a modified SVT Focus (it's not a tiny car) in the same way it fits in a modified CV. B) Since the SVT Focus handles *much* better than a CV (or hopped-up Lumina, etc.), it's actually safer at all speeds. C) I wrote that a few CV type vehicles should be on hand for transports, etc. D) I can only speak from my experiences. However, they seem rather universal. You can trust me when I write that *I* don't want you to put your life on the line in a needless chase. OTH, I'm forced to share the same roads that you use and I'm sure you can understand that I don't want *you* to put my life on the line in a needless chase. How do you expect an inexperienced operator -covers most drivers on the road- to react when a CV displaying a light show that's more exciting than some concerts comes very quickly from behind? Commonsense dictates that said operator is going to freak out. You never know what they're going to do. They might quickly stop in a dangerous manner/area that puts you and I at risk. They might increase speed, forgetting that you have a radio and that you'll probably give chase. Again, putting you and I at risk. They might simply lose control. Again, putting you and I at risk. You never know and I don't want to find out. Why not just get the details - description, plate if you can and radio it in and deal with them later - hopefully when they're stopped?
I don't pretend to have all the answers but if you're interested in stopping ESLs, all you need to is merge into traffic and "do" the posted speed limit. It's that simple. It's you're interested in passing out some tickets, turn the camera on a record a series of idiots who haven't discovered lane change signals. They're an extreme danger to us all. I'm sure you can think of may others. Good luck!
Ok so *you* are saying...aww what the hell lets just let these guys go and hope we catch up to them some day after comiting several more crimes? I hate to burst your bubble but its not possible to just get a plate # and then find them later... most of the ones who are chased are in stolen vehicles for one. Second we do not chase just the typical speeding vehicle. We have standards... Do you just think we go out and find people to chase? Its not that simple. Oh and by the way....you cant compair a TV show to real police work...yeah I've seen people on TV shows do a lot of amazing things in cars, motorcycles...and a lot of other vehicles....But the key thing to remember...Its TV.